Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express Delema

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TQUAD

TQUAD

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:32 PM

Anyone,
In my attempt to eliminate Illegal Operation messages, something must have happened to Outlook Express. Every time I try to open it all I get is the following message;
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.milwpc.com (tquad)', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
I've checked and rechecked all the connections and settings in Outlook Express as well as all the other internet connections. I've checked under 'Accounts' and under 'Mail' in Control Panel. I've called my ISP and they have assured me their end is working fine. I have even reinstalled OE6 without any results. I am at a total loss as to why I'm not able to connect with my ISP for mail but am able to access the internet without any problem. I must be missing something really simple or there is something really wrong with this computer. Please, any help or suggestions would be great. I'm getting desperate.
TQUAD

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 28 April 2007 - 08:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:56 PM

See if this is of any help:
OLEXP: Error Message: The Connection to the Server Has Failed...Error 0x800CCC0E
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 TQUAD

TQUAD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:11 PM

[size=7][b]
to1911,
The error code matches mine exactly but unfortunately I'm not using Microsoft for my ISP and it seems that the solution recommended would only work if I were using Microsoft. It does follow the exact steps you would use to change the 'Outgoing' user information, but in my case the information listed under 'server' is allegedly correct. My account name and password are all correct. [At least I hope they are.] That's what's so confusing to me. I don't understand why it won't work.
Under my 'server' tab it lists my server as a 'POP3' server, whatever that is. It says that all incoming mail, [POP3], is 127.0.01 and all outgoing mail, [SMTP], is also 127.0.01. I don't know what the numbers mean so I also would not know if they were correct. Under the 'Advanced' tab, it says that my outgoing mail, [SMTP], = 25. The incoming mail, [POP3], = 110. These numbers are the server port numbers. Again, I don't know if those numbers are correct. That's why I wouldn't know what to change them to. Anyway, if you or anyone else does know what changes I should make please let me know. I really need the help.
Thanks for the help.
TQUAD

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:28 PM

I had a problem similar to yours once. I had my ISP reset my email account and everything was fine. It turned out it was something on their end but the 1st level tech support were'nt trained to recognize it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:02 PM

What ISP are you using and what are the server (in coming and out going) do they require you to use?
127.0.01 is an internal computer address. Your entires should look similar to this..
Incoming pop.MyISP.com or mail.Myisp.com
Out going SMTP.MyISP.com or mail.MyISP.com
When you post your ISP's name I will be able to help you a little better.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 TQUAD

TQUAD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:31 PM

Mark,
Thanks for the idea. I've talked to my ISP twice now and they guarantee me there is nothing wrong with their end. I'm not sure as to whether I should believe them or not. Another 'expert' found an article from Microsoft that showed the exact error number but it only pertained to Windows NT.
To make matters worse it said that the cause was that my 25 and 110 ports weren't being 'listened' to. To correct the problem, the article gave detailed instructions as to how to correct the situation.The directions were way beyond my ability to understand. It started with typing 'netstart' into the command prompt line. That generates a black window that begins to list something but the display only remains visible for a few seconds and can't be maintained. After that I can't understand what they want me to do. It's starting to look like this computer is headed for the garbage can. I can't afford to replace it so if it can't be fixed then I've had it as for the internet. It's just getting too complicated for me to keep up. I'd sure like to know exactly what I did that messed up Outlook Express. Maybe someone else has an idea that will help. I also haven't had anyone look at my HJT logs to see if there's something bad that can explain the problem.
Possibly there is a problem there. Someone else wants to know my ISP address for my incoming and outgoing mail. All I can find for outgoing SMTP is 'mailmilwpc.com' and for incoming POP3 is 'mailmilwoc.com'. I hope that helps.The actual ISP name is Milwaukee PC of Milwaukee Wisconsin. USA. 1-414-771-6965.
Thanks again for the suggestion. Let me know if you have any more. I've included the error message again as well.
TQUAD

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.milwpc.com (tquad)', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Mod Edit: Edited to remove improperly posted HJT log.
Also closed open tags, and reduced text size from 7, to 4. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 28 April 2007 - 11:38 PM.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:37 PM

What is the name of your ISP??
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:04 PM

Make sure that your inbound and outbound mail scanners are turned on in avast antivirus. Right click on the avast icon in the system tray to make sure that the providers for your email are not turned off or paused. An antivirus normally sets up a local machine redirect (127.0.0.1)to facilitate mail scanning.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:30 PM

TQUAD,
I've edited out your HJT log.
This is to prevent non-HijackThis Team member's from offering advice, which could damage your system.
If you would like to have your log examined, please re-post it in this forum, HijackThis Logs and Analysis, with a link to this topic.

Edited by tg1911, 28 April 2007 - 11:40 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users