Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Missing Keys, Errors And More...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

Hi folks,

Had to do a non destructive System Recovery per HP's direction on 2-04-07 for "corrupted software".

My computer's been running pretty well ever since, except lately when I try to install programs and other things. For instance, I was trying to install HP's SmartWeb Printing Installer just the other day, when just as I finished with the MS installer the following error came up: "Error 1406 could not write value clsid Extension to key.... verify that you have sufficient access to that key." I re-ran the install and received the same message. I Googled the error, looked up a M$ explanation and some other one that basically said the same thing, "Check your User Accounts to make sure you have Administrative priviledges." I went to User Accounts, where I am identified as the "Computer Administrator", then checked in Computer Management under Local where "User Accounts" is supposed to be under System Tools and that category WASN'T there at all. Hmm.

I've also had my HP 5100 Printer Assistant disappear. When I double click on the desktop icon, a blank screen appears. I've tried several times, no change.

I did back up my registry, and ran the M$ Regcleaner. Looked like it found some errors, as it asked me if it was okay to fix them. I clicked on "Fix". I rebooted, no changes, still not able to install the above software, or others, specifically fabric libraries from the EQ 6 site for my EQ 6 program. Likewise, I was trying to install additional clip art for a Quilt label program that I own, same response.

I also installed and ran "UPHClean" program, as I noticed I had Errors 1517 and 1524 just about every time I turned my computer on, dating back to 2-04-07 - the exact date I did the recovery. Error 1524 says: "Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is not longer in use."

Any guesses as to what's going on here? I sure would appreciate some help on this one.

I'm running a Compaq Presario, about 3 years old, Win XP w/SP2, 1.83 processor, 512 RAM with 63% free. I also have Xandros dual booted, but have been unable to use it as it is NOT compatible with my Agere modem. I am still on lowly dial up, no other options at present. Thanks so much in advance for any assistance.

Regards, Eagle7

I did just check the Event Viewer and wanted to update anyone that the 1517 and 1524 errors are gone, and the UPHClean entries are now showing up. However, that didn't change anything else as far as the 1406 error and sufficient access issues. Thanks

Edited by Eagle7, 28 April 2007 - 05:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:03 AM

Have you tried creating another profile to see if it gets the same errors? If it doesn't, then follow this KB article to migrate to the new profile: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:43 AM

Hi John,

You're dealing with a bit of a novice here. Would you mind elaborating on this one for me, please? I'm not very familiar with profiles. All I know, is that I set myself up as the computer's Administrator originally in the User Accounts area. I am the only User on my computer. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Eagle7

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:48 PM

Go to the User Accounts and create another account. Then log in to the account to see if it functions properly.

If all works well in the new account, transfer the stuff from the old account to the new account using the instructions in the link that I posted above.

Then (after a bit) you can delete the old account and will be left with the new, functioning account.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:58 AM

Hi John,

Thanks so much for the instructions, I really appreciate it. I did print out the instructions from the link you provided, thanks. At this time, I only have one more question. When I create a new User Account, what happens to my status as Administrator? Will I be given the opportunity to create another Admin account? Or, how did I get back to Admin status? Thanks so much!

Regards,

Eagle7

#6 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

You need to have admin rights to create a new account and the new account will only have user rights by default, after creating the account, you will have to add that account to the Administrators group.
Hope this clears up any confusion.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:55 AM

Sometimes after doing a non-destructive system recovery you have to reinstall SP2 and then visit the MS updates site and check that all your updates are up-to-date.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:40 AM

Hi Baloo,

Yes, you're explanation does clear things up for me, thanks so much.

Hi Budapest,

Thanks for the advice on reloading the SP2 and the M$ fixes. I have already done that. Unfortunately, I've had to do this a few times. Never had any issues with missing registry keys from the past recoveries, this is a new issue for me. I'll do as John suggested soon, and see if I can get things to working like they should.

Regards.

Eagle7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users