Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I Do A Good Thing?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 N320AW

N320AW

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:22 AM

Please understand I know VERY LITTLE about computer stuff so I wanted to pass this along in need of some opinions, and I do have a minor question too.

I've had my system for 3 years and it has had it's share of problems, especially slowing down or slow start-up. I have usually had my system set for " selective start-up." Deleted out a lot of stuff that wanted to join the act on start-up. Really helped!

Last night while diddling around I started the system and immediately selected F2. I've been there before but don't really know much about those items. Anyway I found " BOOT SEQUENCe " there. Opened it up some how and observed the sequence that system was set for since new, I guess. Three items were there. All had a check mark next to them:

1. CD-ROM IDE something or another
2. C drive
3. 3.5 floppy drive (?)

In that order.

I changed them around and put C drive as first option for start-up.

It made a BIG difference in my start-up times. Everything loads much faster. Comments appreciated.

Question: Why does my system slow down so much after putting extra demands on it such as playing with GoogleEarth and zooming around the world. Is that just the way XP is or is there a fix?

Thanks
N320AW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:44 PM

Honestly I would change it (the BIOS) back to
1)CD
2) C drive
3)USB or Network if available
4) Floppy Drive

There is a good reason behind this setup. If Windows decides to crash and burn and you have to use recovery Disks then your PC will boot the CD drive first and not try to enter Windows. Theres more to it then that but its all I can think of right now

Posted Image

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:40 PM

Changing the boot sequence isn't that big of a deal as long as you remember how to access the BIOS if the need arises. Like using a boot floppy or recovery CD. I don't see where it cuts that much time off the booting process, though.There is another option or 2 in the BIOS to speed up booting, but I'd leave it at the factory settings. As far as speeding up Google Earth, that depends on what your processor is and how much memory you have.

"Graphics card requirement for Google Earth

The 3D graphics capabilities of your machine have a lot to do with how well Google Earth performs. Google Earth will work on most graphics cards from the following manufacturers:

* NVIDIA
* ATI*
* 3D Labs
* Intel**
* Matrox
* S3

* The following ATI cards are not supported: ATI Rage Mobility, ATI Xpert, ATI 3D Rage.

** Intel 3D graphics machines can use the default OpenGL version, but work better in DirectX (choose Start > Programs > Google Earth > Start Google Earth in DirectX).

Matrox card users must use the OpenGL version. S3 cards must use the DirectX version.

System requirements for Google Earth on the PC

The Google Earth client requires certain system configurations in order to run smoothly.

Minimum configuration:

* Operating System: Windows 2000, Windows XP
* CPU: Pentium 3, 500Mhz - System Memory (RAM): 128MB RAM
* Hard Disk: 400MB free space
* Network Speed: 128 Kbits/sec
* Graphics Card: 3D-capable with 16MB of VRAM
* Screen: 1024x768, "16-bit High Color" screen

Recommended configuration:

* Operating System: Windows XP
* CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz+ or AMD 2400xp+
* System Memory (RAM): 512MB RAM
* Hard Disk: 2GB free space
* Network Speed: 768 Kbits/sec
* Graphics Card: 3D-capable with 32MB of VRAM
* Screen: 1280x1024, "32-bit True Color" screen"
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 28 April 2007 - 07:47 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:15 PM

If you want your windows to load faster. This will be the setup.

1. CD-ROM IDE something or another
2. C drive
3. 3.5 floppy drive (?)

However, what BlackSpyder says is also true.

#5 N320AW

N320AW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:14 AM

Thanks to you all. I'm gonna leave it where it is for awhile and monitor the behavior of the system.

Chow

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:20 AM

Depending on how your system is built, there may be an issue with the detecting of the controller for the CD drive. I've seen this on early HP systems that mixed a SATA hard drive with an IDE CD/DVD drive that wasn't on the primary channel. The system spent a lot of time looking for the stuff that wasn't on the primary channel and it really slowed the system down.

The fix was to select "None" for every IDE channel except for the one with the CD/DVD drive. We were going to try switching the order around, but ran out of time before we got to try it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users