Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Mgr(processes)...msconfig(start-up)...need Info To Speed-up

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:15 AM

Where can I get the low-down on the "Processes tab" in Task Mgr and the "Start-up tab" in MSCONFIG....BC's "Start-Up" tab seems to address the "Processes" tab in Task Mgr because of the ".exe" references. Think I need to adjust the start-up(msconfig) and running processes(task mgr-processes) to get it up to speed.

Outsourced to add 250GB of storage($100 Staples sale) to relieve 90% used of original 80GB memory. Figured that would help with the sluggishness. Still wondering if it was configured properly because one of the "partitions" is still jammed packed and will NOT defragment although it sorely needs it.

It is the "mother" of a wireless network. Active VP- AVG Free. Active Spyware- Windows Defender. Site Blocking- Spybot(immunize) without Teatimer and SpywareBlaster. Non-active scanners- AVG Spyware, Adaware and SuperAntiSpyware. On-line Scanners- Windows Live-One Care, Malicious Software Removal Tool, Bit Defender and McAfee alternating...Windows Firewall. All showing clean results.
Notwithstanding these results.....I suspect I'll post a HJT log once this is settled as other "stuff" may be clogging up the system..Hey, BC taught me that...

Any and all help is greatly appreciated...Believe me....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:03 AM

First you can address your primary problem with too many startup programs by consulting the start up list on this site. second, I am still learning most of the virus protection software but IMO you should use one protection suite and not run so many active scanners if they are all running at once it will dramatically reduce your available memory and processor power. I personally use Mcafee with on access scanner and Adaware Se (the free one) and have had no problems so far. Another program which I may be switching to is ZoneAlarm its been reviewed on Cnet security as one of the best virus and malware suites out there. As far as defragmenting your partition how Full is the partition i believe most programs need a little bit of free space in order to defragment the drive. I may be wrong on the last part
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:07 PM

Personally, I don't care for "suites".
I feel a program that is specifically designed to to do one job, is better than a program that is designed to do several jobs.
Better to have a program that does one job well, than one that does several jobs, so-so.
Also, suites tend to use more system resources, than individual programs.

When you defrag, do you do it in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:51 PM

Safe Mode...Yes.... For any and all possible maintenance and scanning procedures...after updating.

Too many protections...Perhaps...
1 Active Virus...AVG Free
2? Spywares... WinDef and Spybot without the Teatimer
2 Site Blockers..Spybot Immunization feature and SpywareBlaster
2 Non-Active Spyware scanners.. SuperAnti-Spyware and Adaware

BUT... I still need a resource to research the entries in:
  • Task Mgr's "EXE" entries under the "Processes" tab
  • The "Start-Up entries in MSCONFIG
If I can reduce these, perhaps the 386MB of Ram can provide a tad bit of better performance..

P. S. Also noticed a "SVCHOST" in practically continuously running with 50,000K to 80,000K Mem. usage. Process Explorer gives a window with several tabs. Which tab would provide useful info to remedy its continuous running???

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:39 PM

The only programs on your list that are using resources, all the time, are the ones running in real time.
Your on-demand programs, only use resources when you run them.

you should be able to find your Task Manager, and Msconfig entries, in the tab at the top of this page labeled Startup List.
If it's not on the list, Google it.

Personally, I consider 512 MB of RAM to be the minimun for XP.
1 GB would be even better.
If your system is Malware free, increasing your RAM is the best way to improve performance.

have you read this thread:
Slow Computer?
I contains several tips, to speed up your computer.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:11 PM

Thought so about the RAM.......And about the resource usage relative to on-demand -vs- real-time....

I'll start going right down the list to see what's running and starting........Picking and choosing what's naughty or nice....

I can't help but to wonder that the 80GB undefragmentable storage memory isn't still bogging down the performance......Hmmm.....

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:45 AM

Better to have a program that does one job well, than one that does several jobs, so-so.
Also, suites tend to use more system resources, than individual programs.

Never thought of it that way :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:00 AM

Go through the list of processes and let us know the one's that you're unsure about - we'll give you our opinions on what's useful and what's not.

Stopping the processes is a multi-step process - locating the item that autostarts the process, and disabling the process if it's running as a service.

As for the defragmentation, once you get 15% free space on your drive (12 gB) - try it again. If it still doesn't work, post back and we'll give it a whirl!

Edited by usasma, 29 April 2007 - 08:00 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:23 AM

I figure to use "Sequoia Tree" to get it down to 15% or less......I do not believe deleting Programs frees up space in the storage memory...?????

The running process is a "svchost". The program "Process Explorer" by System Internals shows items running under processes...I think.....Its search gives the result in many tabs. I will try to post a snapshot (if I can) for better analysis......

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:52 AM

Normally there's only one svchost.exe process with a whole bunch of stuff (the rest only have one or two services - usually).

Here's what mine contains:
AudioSrv, BITS, CryptSvc, Dhcp, dmserver,
ERSvc, EventSystem,
FastUserSwitchingCompatibility, helpsvc,
lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation, Netman,
Nla, Schedule, seclogon, SENS, SharedAccess
ShellHWDetection, srservice, Themes, TrkWks
W32Time, winmgmt, wscsvc, wuauserv, WZCSVC
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:43 AM

Only 1 svchost process.....!!!! Hmmmm.......Different here for sure...Your list was what was running under your "only" svchost??????

After double clicking the svchost in Process Explorer, a window opens titled Properties appears with 9 tabs...Which tab would be most helpful..
Performance
Performance Graph
Services
Threads
TCP/IP
Security
Environment
Strings

#12 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 03:45 PM

Got it down to 34 processes. In Task Mgr's performance section..... the total physical is 391. The available being between 184/145 and the cache between 124/195.

In the Commitment section....376/245 Peak. The total 237/225 and the limit remained at 940.

The svchost's excessive running stopped possibly after I reduced the MSCONFIG.

Do those Task Mgr.'s Performance and Commitment numbers look reasonable?????...

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:47 PM

I've got 5 svchost.exe processes on my XP VM ( 2 running as System, 2 as Network Service, and 1 as the Local Service)

Click on the Services tab to see what's running under that instance of svchost.exe

34 is a nice, low number. Prune much more and you might be sacrificing things that you need.

Here's an article on Commit Charge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commit_charge
Since the Peak hasn't reached the limit, I'd say it was OK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users