Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Ubuntu 7.04 Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dogsled

dogsled

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:10 AM

I am just another user attempting to escape from WindowsWorld. UBUNTU was supposed to be easy. I bought the 6.10 DVD and attempted to install on a 2.4G Dell XPS 2400. It would not boot from the DVD so I downloaded the 7.04 ISO and burned a CD. It boots, kinda, and 5 hours later you get "The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_MixerApplet".

Are the UBUNTU people serious ? So far it looks like a major put-on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:44 AM

"The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_MixerApplet".

If I remember correctly, the Gnome mixer applet, is the speaker icon. Does the sound work?

Did you just try to run it from the CD, or did you install it?

As for the DVD. Does the DVD come up in Windows? Can you view the folders on the disc? If you bought the DVD, it should be good. Which begs the question, does your drive read DVDs.

Also, check to make sure you've got a Windows copy of the DVD, and not a Mac DVD.
The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

#3 dogsled

dogsled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

It is supposed to be installing - not sure how I would test the sound at this point. Sound worked ok running XP pro, but it does require some funny driner. I had to search for it the last time I reloaded XP. The DVD says it is the PC edition. It boots on a nearby HP. The drive that is trying to boot the DVD is a Plextor DVD burner that burned an Acronis DVD backup before I tried the install, so it appears to be adequate. What could be making it take 5 hours before it craps out ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users