Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddisk Is Infected!?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:12 AM

Is it possible that a hard disk can be damaged by virus?A computer of a friend of mine has been complaining about her sluggish PC even if had been formatted.The technician said the harddisk was virus infected?The hard disk should be replaced?what do I need to check out first to know the cause of sluggishness?Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:24 AM

Since the virus is stored at the hard disk when placed,yes
examples are:
-It deletes files needed to run a system
-Tracks down your activity and private information
-It also slows down pcs
and many more......

Did she download any AntiVirus program?
several of these at the same time may be the cause of the sluggishness
especially when they are scanning at the same time

Also,did she got recently infected with a particular virus?
After reformatt of her PC?

Edited by Commander Gman, 28 April 2007 - 08:32 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

that PC had never been infected before.It has now anti virus.
Is it possible that the virus will get stuck in the hard disk even after reformatting?I thought it is the best option to resort to when pc is severely infected?

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:21 AM

1, If your hard disk was reformatted after the virus attach, the disk would have been wiped clean and the operating system would have been re-installed. Now if this was the case, the virus would no longer be on the hard drive.
2. The only reason for replacing a hard drive would be the discovery of "bad" sectors that could not be read or written to. You can run Windows Check Disk and configure it to check the physical disk for bad sectors; be advised this will take some time.
3. There can be many causes for sluggishness. I would suggest to follow the checklist below:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44692/slow-computer/

Let us know what happens.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

Is it possible that the virus will get stuck in the hard disk even after reformatting?I thought it is the best option to resort to when pc is severely infected?

Not quite sure but a theory of mine passed on to my mind
Only one thing on my mind struck me the most
Its a bogus AntiVirus (AV) called "SpyFalcon"
It is said it can withstand uninstallation attempts
But im not really sure if it can withstand reformatt attempts
Why not check her PC for malware by using HJT log and post it at the HJT forums?
Just to make sure that malware may not be the cause

Also can you tell us the name of the Anti-Virus program she has?
Because some of these products like Norton which is known as a memory hog
slows down most PCs

Edited by Commander Gman, 28 April 2007 - 08:57 PM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#6 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 03:09 AM

2. The only reason for replacing a hard drive would be the discovery of "bad" sectors that could not be read or written to. You can run Windows Check Disk and configure it to check the physical disk for bad sectors; be advised this will take some time.

If after running windows check disk and viewing the application log at the event viewer and the hd has not been found with any bad sector or no problem at all.Can we bank on that?That the hd does not need to be replaced.Does check disk sometimes fail?I still could not find the name of the antivirus she has.I havent got any answer as yet.Tnx.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:23 AM

Although rare these days (I haven't seen one in a while), a boot sector virus will remain even after a normal format. The "fix" is to use a low-level formatting utility (usually available for free from the manufacturer of the hard drive) and then proceed with the partitioning and formatting of the drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:01 PM

Is it usually run in dos mode or does the pc have to boot from floppy to run this?Coz Ive seen some are gui-based programs that I think can be run within windows.Does it have to be that way coz I havent done LLF before .thanks

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

LLF will be done from a boot floppy or CD. It needs sole access to your hard drive (so you can't do it from Windows).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for these info.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:51 AM

You can do a low level format using the HDD Low Level Format Tool from this page.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users