Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Motherboard With Licensed Key

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 squall_1981

squall_1981

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:00 AM

I am a first time poster. I will try as hard as possible not to ask a question that has been asked before.

I read the thread about clean installing an upgrade of Windows Vista.

I don't have a problem per se, but I am researching any issues I will have in the near future with installing Vista on a new motherboard. I emphasize that data backup is not my concern as I have an external hard drive to store it.

I have Vista Ultimate upgrade version installed on top of my oem Windows XP Pro software I purchased years ago on newegg.com. This is all on my current motherboard, which I intend on soon dropping in favor of one that supports Intel Core 2 Duo processors. The board I am looking at is a ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA LGA775/ PT880 Ultra/ DDR&DDR2/ PCI-E&AGP/ A&L/ ATX Motherboard, which supports all of my existing components except for of course my current outdated P4. I don't want a total sytem upgrade yet, just a cheap motherboard that works and new processor.

I have upgraded motherboards successfully in the past with my XP oem. I of course had to call Microsoft and explain that my old motherboard...ahem..broke. I had to move my hard drive over and subsequently save the new configuration over my old data. This won't be a problem next time since I have an external drive.

So my issue is this.....My Vista upgrade key is registered to my current system already. Will I have any problems with Microsoft once I try to do the clean install trick with my new motherboard? Should I take my old XP oem disk and do a clean install over my old data and then install vista upgrade? Any chance I will be locked out from having my keys usable on the new system? Has anybody had experience trying these before?

I appreciate any help on this and apologize for the long winded explanation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:15 AM

I've read about this, but haven't any experience myself. As long as you have a legal copy of XP and a legal copy of the Vista Upgrade you shouldn't have any issues. At worst this would necessitate a call to Microsoft because of the significant change in hardware.

It appears that Vista will no longer check for previous OS's unless they are installed on the disk. So (IMO) your options are:
1) Install XP, then do the Custom install option to have a clean copy of Vista on your system. or
2) Install Vista without activating/entering the product key, then reinstall it as a clean install (article here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/12/ch...a_for_everyone/ ) While this is technically a violation of the EULA, you already have the copy of the qualifying OS (XP) and aren't trying to "beat the system".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 squall_1981

squall_1981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:20 AM

Any chance you think that the Vista startup repair utility on the vista disk will make the Windows run on the new motherboard, or do you think a clean install of Vista will be necessary?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:09 PM

I'd imagine that the repair utility on the DVD will allow you to run it on the new motherboard. But I wouldn't take any bets on it if it's an upgrade from XP.

I'd suggest that you remove all hardware that you can from the OS (and from the old mobo before transferring the disk to the new mobo. Uninstall anything that will change with the new mobo and you'll increase your chances of a successful transfer.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 emucade

emucade

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:17 AM

Vista's Repair Is Flawless !
It fixed my Dual boot in about 5 seconds.
Also you can Disable other devices from windows Recourses.
Windows completely stops unknown devices so you can find
The proper drivers. no more krnl errors
" If you want to be the best you better learn how do defend yourself,
Because when you are the best everybody wants to kick you’re a** "
My Dad 1986

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:09 AM

That's great! Thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users