Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Control A Usb Device From Another Pc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 carninesix

carninesix

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:20 AM

Hello,

Was not sure which section to post this in.

What I have is a Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick plugged into one of my desktops (Vista Ultimate).

Two questions here.

First question, is it possible to control the above USB device from another computer on the same home network?

This is so if I am not at my desk, can I get the vedio feed to display on my laptop over the wireless network.

Second question, where does Vista Ultimate store the recorded television programs?

If there is no way to do the above, I can always watch the recorded video feed.

Steve
Oldest desktop, home build, WinXP Pro, P4 @ 1.8, 1Gb ram, nVidia Geforce 6600 256Mb, Maxtor 40 Gb C-60 Gb D, NEC DVD+RW I, LG CDRW J, 17" 1280X1024 32Bit, Cooler Master Aquagate, Motorola SB5101 Cable modem, Belkin G Plus MIMO Router, Belkin 1200VA UPS
Laptop, COMPAQ V5205NR
Middle desktop, eMachines W6409, added 1 Gb ram, added ATI X300 256 Mb
Newest desktop, home build, Vista Ultimate, Conroe 6600 @ 2.4, 2Gb ram, nVidia 8800GTX 768Mb, Samsung 500 Gb Sata, Samsung DVD, 22" 1680X1050 32Bit, CyberPower 1285VA UPS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:54 AM

One way off the top of my head is gotomypc.com it allows you to remotely connect to your computer anywhere there is an internet connection so long as both computers are on the internet. This may not be the best way nor the cheapest. but its early and thats all I can think of at the moment :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 carninesix

carninesix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:07 PM

Hello,

The problem is not connecting to my PC's I have a fully functional home network.

What I want to be able to do is control the Pinnacle device from another PC.

Steve
Oldest desktop, home build, WinXP Pro, P4 @ 1.8, 1Gb ram, nVidia Geforce 6600 256Mb, Maxtor 40 Gb C-60 Gb D, NEC DVD+RW I, LG CDRW J, 17" 1280X1024 32Bit, Cooler Master Aquagate, Motorola SB5101 Cable modem, Belkin G Plus MIMO Router, Belkin 1200VA UPS
Laptop, COMPAQ V5205NR
Newest desktop, home build, Vista Ultimate, Conroe 6600 @ 2.4, 2Gb ram, nVidia 8800GTX 768Mb, Samsung 500 Gb Sata, Samsung DVD, 22" 1680X1050 32Bit, CyberPower 1285VA UPS

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:11 AM

The easiest fix is a remote control program such as the free versions of VNC. There are other ways, but they're a bit difficult to implement (read: I tried and gave up on them :thumbsup:

The default location for videos is in your videos folder.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

My favorite is tightvnc. Default settings are normally fine, just make sure to use the type of connection you want (one is better picutre less speed, the other is switched).

http://www.tightvnc.com/

Posted Image

#6 carninesix

carninesix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:25 PM

Hello,

I am going to investigate the VNC stuff looks cool, thank you.

And I managed to find the recorded stuff, so for those that need to know under Vista Ultimate the directory is,

C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\

This applies when you are using the Media Center to record TV via a Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick 800e

Steve
Laptop, COMPAQ V5205NR

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

Just a minor note. Gotomypc is a remote service that gives you total controll over your computer from anywhere. Not just allowing you to connect to it. I am affraid I may have been unclear on that. but VNC is free so, that is all the better :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

The only problem I would see is wireless network speed. I think HDTV signals are a bit much for them. But it all depends on your equipment. I would look to the website of the manufacturer. See if they have done any networking tests or some type of documentation on the device.

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users