Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice On Performing An Uninstall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:22 PM

I have an HP Pavilion desktop with Windows XP Home SP2. I purchased this program some time ago on CD at a well-known office supply store for around $20. It is terrible; absolutely riddled with bugs and glitches. It is not listed in Control Panel's "Add/Remove Programs" list, and a look at the program files showed me the only file regarding "uninstall" is an XML Document that opens as a web page in Firefox (my default browser). Here is the page that I see: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Broderbund/Mavis%20Beacon%20Teaches%20Typing%2017/uninstall.xml

What am I supposed to do with this information? Or, can someone please assist me with "manually" removing this program? Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

EDIT: That's not really a web page, is it? Wouldn't it have to start with "HTTP"?

Edited by rlprlp, 27 April 2007 - 11:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:23 AM

Locate the program folder. Find the mavis beacon program (START All Programs Broderbund) I may not be correct in the sequence, once you find the programs startup link, right click, properties, click the shortcut tab, click find target, a windows explorer window will open showing the correct folder, find uninstall or unwise in that folder. I believe most broderbund programs have unwise . double click on that, it should run the uninstall program.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:34 AM

I would not recommend doing a format, if the advice oldf@rt gave you does not work then go to "All other applications" forum, in the "freeware replacements" topic, second post, you will find a couple of uninstall programs. Total Uninstall and Uninstall Tool. If you need to, reinstall the program and then use one of the uninstallers to remove it....hope this helps. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for the tips, guys. Unfortunately, they are not doing the trick. As I mentioned in my original post, I have already explored this program's files, and the only thing I can find regarding uninstalling it is the XML document. Sorry, but I neglected to mention that I am aware that uninstall files are sometimes named "unwise".

There is something wrong with this program. It is just not being recognized as being a program. In addition to Windows Add/Remove Programs list, I have checked the uninstaller in CCleaner, and also Uninstall Tool. This program just isn't showing up on anyone's lists. It is indeed located at C:\Program Files\Broderbund\Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 17.

Bear in mind that this is just some stupid typing lessons program. Would it be sufficient to simply search and delete all folders and files named "Broderbund" or "Mavis Beacon"?

The XML document that I have been referring to is a rather long list of folders, files, registry entries, and perhaps other things that I am not recalling off of the top of my head. Am I supposed to copy/paste this list into some some type of deletion tool, or something like that?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:54 AM

My first attempt would be to install the program again. Broderbund is a reliable software company and I've used the Mavis Beacon program myself (a long time ago). Ensure that you close all open apps before installing it (even down to closing all the stuff in your System Tray (Notification Area by the time in the lower right corner of the screen).

Once it's installed, check to see if you can locate the uninstaller in Add/Remove Programs.

If not, then remove all references to Broderbund (presuming you don't have other Broderbund software installed) and all references to Mavis Beacon from your hard drive (DO NOT remove anything from the registry!) (BTW - the XML file will give you clues where to look for this stuff).

Once all files are removed from the disk, then run this free, online tool to clean your registry (opt out of the other scans): http://safety.live.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:08 AM

I must apologize. I was already advised to reinstall the program by Wildabeast, and I missed that on my first read. After doing so, the uninstall option was showing in my All Programs list. It left a couple of folders behind, but they were easy enough to delete. Now it's just a matter of curiosity: I wonder why the program would not show up in any uninstaller list? Perhaps at one time I inadvertently deleted the uninstaller?

I also find it interesting (but I am happy for you) that you had such a good experience with this program, Usasma. I did not care for it at all.

EDIT: Just for fun, I clicked on your registry cleaner link, Usasma. I ran that tool once long ago, and it screwed up my PC quite seriously. I had to restore from my Acronis backup. I will never run that again.

Edited by rlprlp, 28 April 2007 - 08:16 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:37 AM

I had missed Wildabeast's suggestion also. There's many ways that the uninstaller could have been deleted - most likely through a disk cleaning program.

You're the first person that I've talked to that has had trouble with the scan in that link - and I've been recommending it for quite a while now. I'll have to give it a shot again to see! Thanks for the info!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:03 AM

Last post, then I'll let this thread go to make way for others... It really was quite a while ago when I tried that tool, Usasma. Perhaps it is a much better tool now. However, the bad memory (and fear!) remain for me. I, myself, will never use it again.

Edited by rlprlp, 29 April 2007 - 08:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users