Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Print Process Explanations But Can't

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 grrraaagh

grrraaagh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:16 PM

Hi,

I am very new to owning a PC. I''m just starting to explore and delve deeper for information that interests me.

If i go into the task manager and call up the processes display there is a bewildering display of columns all busily chugging away. I went into the help section and pulled up a page with the title 'Process counter column headings'

Base Priority
CPU Time
CPU Usage
GDI Objects
Handle Count
Image Name
I/O Other
I/O Other Bytes
I/O Reads
I/O Read Bytes
I/O Writes
I/O Write Bytes
Memory Usage
Memory Usage Delta
Nonpaged Pool
Page Faults
Page Faults Delta
Paged Pool
Peak Memory Usage
PID (Process Identifier)
Session ID
Thread Count
User Name
USER Objects
Virtual Memory Size

I was delighted to find that one could see what each heading meant. So, for my education and future reference i wished to print out each definition. Unfortunately, the explanation is contained in a balloon/bubble that pops up as you click each item on the list.

I'm relatively new to computers, and no matter what i do i can not get to print out the info. I've tried highlighting the text within the balloon and using control+c. However, upon pressing control+v into wordpad, it produces the basic list and not the specific contents. I've used the task manager print options, that just printed out a six page task manager overview.

So, to my request for assistance.
Is it possible to print the contents of a pop up balloon?
If not, is there anywhere i can get the definitions/details for each of the items in the process heading list above?

I've tried searching this forum and tutorials without success.

Many thanks in advance of any help.

Edited by grrraaagh, 27 April 2007 - 10:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 grrraaagh

grrraaagh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:55 PM

Perseverance pays off. I managed to get the following from elsewhere on the web.

Process Property Description

Image Name The name of a process running in your system.

PID (Process Identifier) A unique identifier of each process, which distinguishes between different processes (just like a primary key concept in DBMS).

User Name The name of the user under whose account the current process executes, or whose Terminal Services session owns the process. Note that the counter is available only when Terminal Services is installed.

Session ID A session ID of a process from the Terminal Services. Note that the session counter is available only when Terminal Services is installed.

CPU This field denotes the percentage of time that a process used the CPU since the last update.

CPU Time CPU Time determines the total processor time, in seconds, used by a process since it started.

Memory Usage It determines the total memory of the number of pages currently resident in the memory of a process, which is denoted in kilobytes. The number of pages currently resident in memory is also termed as the current working set.

Peak Memory Usage This field identifies the total peak amount of physical memory resident in a process since it started.

Memory Delta This field identifies the total change in memory, in kilobytes, for the process since the last update.

Page Faults This field identifies the total number of times data has to be retrieved from disk (also called an interrupt) for a process because it was not found in memory and thus, its value accumulates from the time the process started.

PF Delta PF Delta field identifies the change in the number of page faults since the last update.

NP Pool NP Pool means Non Paged Pool, which is the amount of memory used by a process, in kilobytes. It never allows the operating system to be paged to disk. Paging is the moving of infrequently used parts of a program's working memory from RAM to another storage medium, such as a hard disk, CD etc. It usually will be the hard disk.

Base Priorities Base Priorities allows the user to view and change base priorities, with which we can define a precedence ranking that identifies process threads order, which are scheduled for the processor.

A queue priority will be either of public or private type. The public queue priority in a Message Queuing can be set to the base priority, in which the range starts from -32,768 to 32,767. The default priority is always 0 in a public queue. Private queues do not support base priority.

Note: the order of routes and delivering messages using Message Queuing is prioritized first by base priority and then by message priority.

Handles In Task Manager, the number of object handles in a process' object table.

Threads In Task Manager, the number of threads running in a process.

User Objects An object from the Window Manager, which includes windows, menus, cursors, icons, hooks, accelerators, monitors, keyboard layouts, and other internal objects. In Task Manager, the number of USER objects currently being used by a process.

GDI Objects Objects from the Graphics Device Interface (GDI) library of the Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) for graphics output devices. In the Task Manager, the number of GDI objects currently used by a process.

I/O Reads In Task Manager, the number of read input/output operations generated by a process, including file, network, and device I/Os. I/O Reads directed to CONSOLE (console input object) handles are not counted.

I/O Writes In Task Manager, the number of write input/output operations generated by a process, including file, network, and device I/Os. I/O Writes directed to CONSOLE (console input object) handles are not counted.

I/O Other In Task Manager, the number of input/output operations generated by a process that are neither a read nor a write, including file, network, and device I/Os. An example of this type of operation would be a control function. I/O Others directed to CONSOLE (console input object) handles are not counted.

I/O Read Bytes In Task Manager, the number of bytes read in input/output operations generated by a process, including file, network, and device I/Os. I/O Read Bytes directed to CONSOLE (console input object) handles are not counted.

I/O Write Bytes In Task Manager, the number of bytes written in input/output operations generated by a process, including file, network, and device I/Os. I/O Write Bytes directed to CONSOLE (console input object) handles are not counted.

I/O Other Bytes In Task Manager, the number of bytes transferred in input/output operations generated by a process that are neither a read nor a write, including file, network, and device I/Os. An example of this type of operation would be a control function. I/O Other Bytes directed to CONSOLE (console input object) handles are not counted.

Base Priority A precedence ranking that determines the order in which the threads of a process are scheduled for the processor.

For Message Queuing, a property that specifies the queue's priority in a public queue. You can set the base priority from -32,768 to 32,767; the default priority is 0. Private queues do not support base priority. Message Queuing routes and delivers messages first by base priority, then by message priority.

CPU Usage In Task Manager, the percentage of time that a process uses the CPU since the last update. On the Task Manager Process tab, the column heading is CPU.

Memory Usage Delta In Task Manager, the change in memory, in kilobytes, used since the last update.

paged Pool The system-allocated virtual memory that has been charged to a process and that can be paged. Paging is the moving of infrequently-used parts of a program's working memory from RAM to another storage medium, usually the hard disk.

In Task Manager, the amount of system-allocated virtual memory, in kilobytes, used by a process.

Non-paged Pool Operating system memory that is never paged to disk. Paging is the moving of infrequently used parts of a program's working memory from RAM to another storage medium, usually the hard disk. In Task Manager, the amount of memory used by a process, in kilobytes.

Virtual Memory Size In Task Manager, the amount of virtual memory, or address space, committed to a process.

Edited by grrraaagh, 27 April 2007 - 10:57 PM.

#3 grrraaagh

grrraaagh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:59 PM

I'm still interested as to whether one can print the contents of an information balloon.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:10 AM

I believe the best you may be able to do is use the Print Screen key to the right of the F12 key. Open a graphics program like Paint, then right click on a clean field and select paste. Whatever was on the screen when you press Print Screen will transfer to the program as a bitmap file. I would then save it as a .jpg file. Use Paint to crop it of resize it.
I hope this helps.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:45 AM

Nice link grrraaagh - thanks!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users