Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I Safe?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Josho

Josho

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:54 PM

I am a big internet user... I download and upload alot of things. I also use Remote Access Programs...

Antispyware

1.a-squared Free V (real time disabled)
2. Ad-aware SE Personal Free V (real time disabled)
3. AVG Antispyware Free V (real time disabled)
4. CW Shredder
5. HijackThis
6. Rookit Revealer
7. Spybot- Search & Destroy (Tea Timer disabled)
8. Spyware Terminator (real time)
9. Spywareblaster Free V (real time)
10. SUPERAntispyware Free V (real time disabled)
11. Windows Defender (real time)

AV & Firewall
NOD32 Antivirus Paid For (real time)
Comodo Firewall

Browser
Firefox

I also have Site Advisor installed & Defrag my pc every month with Perfect Disk.

I keep all off these programs up to date

I do alot of File Sharing, Uploading & Downloading... I have a server I run also, I am not the expert at security, But I hope this is enough... Thanks. I have reformatted my PC twice so far in 3 yrs due to spyware problems.

Am I safe? Thanks!
Chess, Outdoor Sport, Games & Computers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:10 PM

Am I safe? Thanks!

Simple answer -

probably not.

That's not necessarily because you've done something wrong, but mainly because there just aren't any guarantees regarding PC security.

You might add a another anti-Rootkit scanner, like AVG's new free one, to your arsenal.

Also, backing up frequently would be wise, too. It always is.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:30 AM

For me,this is ok

But i reccomend you don't throw IE away :thumbsup:
I also use FireFox most of the time
Because in some sites that you may need access,you may need IE to get in
not all sites are compatible with firefox like Windows Updates
IE could also serve as an alternative if ever FireFox may not work

May i know what your site advisor is?

Edited by Commander Gman, 28 April 2007 - 12:31 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:02 AM

Your safety precautions seems to be ok, what is making you vulnerable is the file sharing thing. YOU never know what will hit your computer once it is downloaded and writers of malware are so sophisticated they can hide "stuff "in any different file.

I would add ATF Cleaner which you can run on a weekly basis.

#5 Josho

Josho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:06 AM

Am I safe? Thanks!

Simple answer -

probably not.

That's not necessarily because you've done something wrong, but mainly because there just aren't any guarantees regarding PC security.

You might add a another anti-Rootkit scanner, like AVG's new free one, to your arsenal.

Also, backing up frequently would be wise, too. It always is.

Mcafee Site Advisor for FF.

#6 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:55 PM

Oh ok t.y. for the info :thumbsup:
well the only thing is that if you're trying to access a site
with false positives from the site advisor,
there should be an exception list to where you'll add it.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#7 Josho

Josho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:12 AM

Hello!

I hear SUPERAntispyware is better then Spybot & Ad-aware put together, Is this true?

I got rid of of some apps and now have the following:
Comodo Firewall pro
NOD32 Antivirus
SUPERAntispyware
a-squared free
AVG Antispyware
Spyware Terminator

All are up to date... I also run checkdisk and defrag after weekly...

I am missing Spybot & Ad-aware from the list (on purpose)... Is this OK?

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:39 AM

Not any better or worse. With super anti spyware free, ad aware and spybot you can probably keep your computer 99% clean of malware. Nod32 excellent choice for virii. I always recommend that any internet user have an active anti malware program, such as spysweeper, adaware paid version, spyware doctor, etc. here is a link to an article in the pc magazine web site:

http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1874,1639157,00.asp
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#9 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:16 AM

I hear SUPERAntispyware is better then Spybot & Ad-aware put together, Is this true?

For me,Theres really no telling which is better from these facts:
-Scan Engine
-Definitions
-Efficiency
-Real Time Protection (If Purchased)
All 3 have different things (as listed above)
One may not have much Definitions and the other may not have a
good chance of Real Time Protection against spyware
So it is good to keep more than one :thumbsup:

#10 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:40 AM

May I make a comment? I have seen posts before stating that you can not perform tasks such as Windows updates with Firefox. There is an extension that I use that makes this possible. It is called "IE Tab". Allow me to be the first to admit that I don't understand every aspect as to how it works exactly, but the add-on definition in my Add-ons list reads: "Enables you to use the embedded IE engine within Mozilla/Firefox". Using this add-on, I update Windows, run online scans, etc. successfully using Firefox. I hop that this information may be somehow useful.

#11 baker1

baker1

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:29 PM

I'am not certain as to how this web site is suppose to work however there is no excuse for mis-leading any who may pass this way with nothing more than a honest knowledgable approach to the matters at hand.I have looked and unable to find positions had by me a few days hence and though in and of themselves providing merely a better idea than a tabloid headline they were at least to my understanding neither hard nor bitter than any other opinion had.The opinion expressed was this particular area for one whereby safety and the security of being on the internet was addressed if at all by reference to a well known interview some three or four months old.It is a very real position that the pc has provided a false sense of identity in which the user has become a very real detriment to safety and security by virtue of the fact that all the world is not involved in industrial espionage yet like it or not you will be used for just said cause because this is charlies playground.This is meant however agressive to make certain that the posted comment is not dealt with in some honky dory fashion but in a very real world with some very real world disasters waiting to happen.It is not safe to be on the internet with knowledge being required to at least mitigate circumstance with greater and greater computing acumen being an absolute. This means bone up on computer science and even more so on the contentious world of tellacomunications.In direct responce to the quiry,more is this worlds answer, in truth it is not the answer.I once referred to this position as a defence of a perimeter,whereby every known ability to communicate which there are a countless or almost countless avenues be provided for so that when and if you are so enabled,that is when you are on the internet they are guarded against.It is not meant to be a simple solution and it does indeed preclude a real world ability of knowledge pertaining to both your computing experience as well as the ability to learn about areas of tellacommunications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users