Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer / Interet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Immediate

Immediate

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

I have Windows XP media center on my laptop.

Anytime I try to open folders or apps from the desktop (excluding music and pictures) it takes an extremely long time for them to open or run, about 60 seconds I might say. Pictures and music seem to work fine. Once I have the folder open, there are no more problems navigating from folder to folder. Only desktop to folder.

When IE attempts to open pages "in a new window" or whatever the new window never opens, and IE freezes. The same occurs when I try to view video files that normally open in WMP when clicked in IE. WMP never appears and IE freezes.

Random crashes when there are more than one or two programs running on the desktop. An example is I was running Lavasoft Ad-Aware while fighting with Internet Explorer and it crashed.
The computer seems to randomly crash with no clicking response and no task manager, I can however still move the mouse cursor.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:28 PM

What at the specs on your computer, RAM, processor, hard drive (used and unused space)? It sounds like you re running out of memory, possibly both RAM and virtual.
What antivirus and antispywars are you running?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Immediate

Immediate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:54 PM

HP
Geniune Intel® CPU
T2300 @ 1.66GHz
1.66 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Space
used: 60.1 GB
free: 20.0 GB

I have Webroot Spysweeper, PrevX, Ad-Aware, and Norton Internet Security. I can count the total number of running all these programs in the past few months on one hand. I don't run them because they slow the computer down majorly when I do and the virus and adware scans take forever (hours). I've not had trouble until now. Other programs lurking somewhere are the Panda Scanner (name?), Ewido, Roguescanfix... my problems up to now have been from registry errors and just a question of deleting something with regedit.. I've not had any performance zapping problems like this yet.

All registry deletions were under the guidance of this site and took place months ago so none of those would be an affliction now.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:09 PM

Check the Event Viewer in Administrative Tools located in the Control Panel for error messages. List the last four error meassages.

#5 Immediate

Immediate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

The last four errors under application? Is this it?

Warning 4/27/2007 08:06:54 PM MsiInstaller None 1001 NETWORK SERVICE JAKE
Warning 4/27/2007 08:06:54 PM MsiInstaller None 1004 NETWORK SERVICE JAKE
Warning 4/27/2007 08:05:20 PM MsiInstaller None 1001 NETWORK SERVICE JAKE
Warning 4/27/2007 08:05:20 PM MsiInstaller None 1004 NETWORK SERVICE JAKE

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:06 PM

Did you right click on the error message and open it for the details? There should be a description with a registry key. If you can find it please post it. Do you have MS Office installed on your computer?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:30 AM

I'd also suggest opening up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and leaving it on your Desktop while performing the tasks that slow/freeze the computer.

Click on the Processes tab of Task Manager and watch the process that consumes the most CPU cycles. Also check to see what's consuming the most memory (you can sort each column by clicking on the column's title).

Finally, if this doesn't show anything significant, then go to the View menu and click on Select Columns. In the next window, put a check mark next to IO Reads, IO Writes, and IO Other. Then click OK. Resize the Task Manager window so you can view these columns and see if there's any excessive disk activity (the IO stuff) associated with the freezing. The name of the process that's causing it will give us some clues on how to proceed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users