Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Does Not Startup After Install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 incaman

incaman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

On startup I get the message about 'winload.exe' being missing or corrupt. All the information I can find indicates correcting this issue with the startup recovery utility, which is part of the vista OS install cd. My problem is that I only have the 'Restore' cd, which does not give me access to the utilities - it just 'restores' the root drive to the original configuration (with this little startup glitch). How can I get the vista startup utilities on a separate bootable cd in order to correct the vista startup, or is there another work-around?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:27 AM

Have you tried booting from the DVD? Usually the tools are accessed from the DVD as a part of the boot sequence. When the "Install Now" prompt comes up, there should be a "Repair" option on the lower left portion of the screen. This has worked with a couple of "Restore" DVD's for me.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 incaman

incaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:17 AM

Yes. I have been trying to do everything from the restore DVD. The problem is that it only restores the factory image onto the root drive - nothing more. No recovery tools, no boot-up into Windows Vista. The manufacturer just responded to me saying that my hard drive has a bad partition, but if this were true, then I should not be able to install XP Pro successfully (which I tried and did).

My end goal is to have dual-boot with Vista & XP Pro. I liked some of what I saw with Vista, but was unable to utilize some of my programs (AutoCAD & others) which is why I am pushing to get both systems up and running. I know about VistaBootPro and their solution to correct the bcdedit file in order to enable dual boot. Right now, I'm just trying to get to that point in the process...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:09 PM

I'd suggest a few diagnostics on your hard drive before proceeding further. The manufacturer of the hard drive should have some free utilities for this (if they don't, there's some others that can be used).

Once the diagnostic is done, then I'd suggest looking further into the recovery options on your system. Somewhere in the programs listed will be a recovery option - which will reboot your system into recovery mode. Let us know the make and model of your system and we can make some suggestions about this.

As for installing XP after Vista - I'd have to guess that you'd have to install it to a separate partition, and then edit the Vista boot record to reflect it's location (but I haven't done it myself).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users