Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will My New Card Fit Into My Computer?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DClyde

DClyde

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:15 PM

ASUS EN8800GTS/HTDP/640M GeForce 8800GTS 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

This is the card I'm looking to get, but it looks pretty big! I'm concerned about it not fitting, it already seems a bit tight in my machine now as it is, but here is my setup:

HP Pavilion
AMD Atholon 64 Processor 3800+
2.39 GHz, 1.93 GB of RAM
680 w
PCI xpress slot (for the card)

I don't have an actual video card right now, just the integrated ATI Radeon XPress 200 series that is a part of the motherboard I guess??

I want to be able to play all the great games that are out right now like F.E.A.R and be able to play games like Warhammer Online or Age of Conan when they come out. I'm sure this card will be great for those games, but will it fit??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Che Guevara

Che Guevara

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

The basic thing you need to know if you dont care about anthing else is. Do you have a PCI-E x16 slot and does that have an open slot above it for that fan port.

I really don't think you'll need this graphics card for some time to play any games really well. but if you want it, go for it.

Some things to think about

Look inside the computer

1. If there are wires everywhere then you might want to invest in some zip ties and tie them down away from the center of the motherboard to increase airflow.

2. Looking at the PCI-E slot is it a PCI-e x16 slot, if you dont know, how big is it, is it longer than a regular PCI slot, if its longer then it is a PCI-E x16

3. Where is the card gonna be, whats under that area, will it create a problem with any components (over heating or knocking it)

4. What components do you have on your machine right now. Will your PSU be able to handle the upgrade, and does it have a 6 pin connector to power the card

5. Does your computer have the capability to run this card at its full potential
Che

"Shoot, coward--you are only going to kill a man." - Che Guevara as he was then murdered as an unarmed prisoner by the Brazilian army aided by the US CIA

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:45 PM

IMO, And 8800GTS might be a bit much on your machine. Yes it is an AWESOME card. Yes it will improve performance allot. But you can go with a less expensive card more matched to your current processor. Just for example Tomshardware.com just upgraded their benchmark computer for graphics testing to and Intel core 2 extreme 2.93 ghz with 1,066 FSB just to keep up with the latest top end cards. You card choice is among the very best available :thumbsup: but its performance will be limited by your current configuration.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 27 April 2007 - 03:45 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:13 PM

Ya my friend just got an XFX 8600GT for 170$ on newegg. It is working wonders!. Its big too, but smaller then the 8800. The 8800GTS is an excellent card, but it would be better to get a dual core processor instead with a cheaper card. The amd X2 processors are down to the 70-200$ price range I believe.

Edited by Sterling14, 27 April 2007 - 04:13 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Che Guevara

Che Guevara

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:48 PM

I'm currently running an Amd 64 X2 3800+ processor and I have no complaints. It's a very nice chip and I haven't had problems in the 3 months I've used it.
Che

"Shoot, coward--you are only going to kill a man." - Che Guevara as he was then murdered as an unarmed prisoner by the Brazilian army aided by the US CIA

#6 Phetro

Phetro

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:44 PM

I agree with the previous posters--the rest of your system cannot take full advantage of the 8800's power. You will eliminate the video bottleneck, and certainly enjoy a performance increase over onboard video, but your processor would become the bottleneck. The overall perceived increase won't be nearly as good as if you were to upgrade your processor and then buy a cheaper card (like one from the 7 series).

Your PSU wattage is good for the new card (and even SLI for that matter), but if you ever do choose to get a second card and run SLI mode, the brand of the PSU will be a factor. If it's some stock HP PSU, I'd replace that...actually, I'd replace it before replacing anything else in the system (they are known to fail and take the motherboard with them when they do).

As for your last question: as long as your case is a standard or full ATX, it will fit, and will definitely play all the games in the world, provided the rest of the system it's installed in can keep up. It really is what it's cracked up to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users