Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo Boclean

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:36 AM

Comodo have just issued a new version of the above, and it seems to getting very good reviews.
I am thinking of installing this, but I just wonder if anybody has any experience of this program and what the opinions of it may be.
I currently have installed as follows:-
AVG Free
ZoneAlarm Free
A-Squared Free
Spywareblaster
Spybot S+D
Ad-Aware
AVG Anti-Rootkit
CW Shredder

(You can tell I'm a Scot, look at all these freebies :thumbsup: )

In addition a wee clean up now and again with CCleaner.

My questions:-
Will BOclean live happily with all these guys, or could I expect any conflicts?

If Boclean instals ok and gets along with them all, are there any amongst the above that could be prudently got rid of, leaving Boclean to do the needful?

I have XP SP2 and use Opera browser.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:27 AM

I am also a Scot alumbagh and having used Comodo's free Firewall now for around 6mths without any problems I installed BOClean the day before yesterday and have had nothing untoward to report. It just sits in my toolbar and if it didn't give a little flash and momentarily change colour every now and again I would probably forget it was there.

I also have AVG 7.5 Antivirus Free Edition, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, AVG Free Anti-Rootkit, AdAware SE, SptBot S&D, SpywareBlaster.

I for one will highly recommend Comodo Producte and as soon as they finish testing the Beta of their C.A.V.S. it is bye bye AVG and welcome Comodo on my PC.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#3 alumbagh

alumbagh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:05 AM

Thank you, bluesjunior, for the courtesy of your reply and for your opinions.
Yes, I will give Boclean a try, nothing to lose and it will at least give a proper real time scan which most of my other progs do not do. (I know Spybot has Teatimer, but that does not appeal to me)

I tried the Comodo firewall and liked it a lot, but three things about it upset me, and I reverted to ZoneAlarm.
1) Comodo gave access permission to three progs without asking me. OK, they were legitimate security prog updaters (spywareblaster, spybot and ad-aware) and I would of course have granted permission..but it should have asked. What else did it allow without my knowledge ??
2) When AVG first asked for permission for both updates and email-scanner, I said yes and told Comodo to remember that, but it kept asking about the email scanner, I kept saying yes and please remember, but it always forgot. I ended up with about a dozen avg scanner permissions in the prog. control box.
3) When asking about avg, Comodo kept telling me that the "parent" was AVQ (with a Q not a G) and that worried me.

Maybe all of the above was my fault, did I do something wrong or misunderstand something ? I don't know, but I just find ZA easier to work with, and could not find any answers to the above bugs on the Comodo forums. Will probably try again, as it does get good reviews.

#4 The Gorilla

The Gorilla

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

Alumbagh

I run Boclean with a number of the programs you have installed along with AVG AS, full version, no side effects was so even.

I also use the firewall with all these programs again with no hick ups - just lucky I guess

#5 alumbagh

alumbagh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:12 PM

Hi there, The Gorilla.
I had forgotten about this post, or I would have been back earlier to recant on some of my words.
I have re-installed Comodo firewall and am now well pleased with it. All my earlier problems were due entirely to my lack of understanding of the prog. but having had a good chat on the Comodo Forum, all is now clear to me and the thing is running just fine.
The old truism applies........."When all else fails, read the instruction book"

Have doubts still about Boclean and will continue to sniff around the opinions for a while yet.

Thank you for your reply and comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users