Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which New Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:07 AM

I know you guys are hard core computer whizes and the last time I asked for your help in selecting a new desktop, you were very instructive.
Now its time for me to get a new laptop. I'm looking for a basic machine that I can use on the road and that my girlfriend can use at home. We don't need it to run games, just do the basic email, Office, media (pics, vids and music), etc. I don't want to spend more than $1000 (preferably much less).
Any suggestions? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:11 AM

Do you think you will want Vista or XP?

#3 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

When you say "use on the road", are you implying that thin and lightweight is a priority?
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#4 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:24 AM

I think I could do Vista.
Weight is NOT a priority. Actually one of the desktop "replacement" machines would be good. We're not going to be lugging it around too much.

#5 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:37 AM

I recently bought just a cheap-ish Dell Lappy. The 1501's start at $499 and I upped mine a little bit with a dual core processor and more ram. I know lotsa people are against Dell and they have never really been my absolute favorite, but this laptop is good. It has great battery life and surprises me with its ability to play games really well. And like most laptops now, comes standard with vista. I think Dell is doing better than it has in the past.

I also saw a couple in best buy/circuit city ads a while ago for cheaper.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:28 AM

I usually get my laptops from Velocity Micro. Very powerful computers at a reasonable price. Budget laptops can be tricky, if you get one that isn't powerful enough, it's obsolete before you get it home.

3939.png

#7 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:16 AM

I find that Toshiba's are excellent, brilliant after care sales, well built systems and a very usefull website for downloads/updates etc.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 02:23 PM

We sell laptops where I work - most repairs have to do with damage rather than faulty components. So, get a service plan with accidental coverage if possible.

I've got a Toshiba M45 laptop and I love it! The only problem I've had was a broken power adaptor cord. It even runs Vista quite nicely with a bit more RAM

My wife has an HP laptop that she loves. We bought a cheap Compaq shortly after Vista came out. It died about 3 weeks ago (power adaptor plug inside the case broke) - the service plan with accidental damage got me a new one that day (we went with an Acer because it was cheap also).

IMO there's no problem with Dells if you're content with what you get. They are pretty reliable (we fix a few of 'em even though we don't sell them). The biggest issue is with their desktops - you may be facing problems in the future if you try and upgrade them without Dell parts. Laptops are a bit different since they aren't designed to be upgraded.

Dell used to have a good service department - but I haven't heard much recently about them. Interestingly, they are the only company that I know of that has techs hanging around forums like these to offer assistance.

You'll be in abit of a quandry with viewing movies/videos and traveling - a big screen is needed for them, but a big screen is inconvenient when traveling.

Finally, in general the cheaper laptops aren't as "fixable" as the more expensive ones. With an accidental damage service plan you'll usually end up with a new laptop rather than sending the old one out to be repaired. Then you've gotta start thinking about backup solutions.....
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users