Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battlefield 2142 And Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne Crashes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 macho_maggot

macho_maggot

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:19 AM

Hi,

I have recently upgraded my computer to these parts:

ATI X1950pro
Intel Core 2 Duo e6300
Thermaltake 450W PSU
Abit a9 Motherboard

From these parts:
Nvidia 6200 LE
AMD Sempron 1.40 Ghz
Some Chinese PSU
Gigabyte Motherboard

And currently have a Western Digital SATA harddrive.

Before, on my old computer, I used to play Battlefield 2142 and Warcraft 3 on low graphics, and when there was something large on the screen or graphics demanding, the screen would shut off and I would hear a repeating noise through the headphones.

Now, I have upgraded my computer and I still have the same problem in these two games. I have the latest drivers, and the latest Catalyst Control Center (7.4), but I still do not know what the problem is.

Can you please help me in diagnosing my problem? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:50 AM

what did you do about your memory?

Some Chinese PSU
This could be the culperit
What kind of cooling do you have?

#3 Che Guevara

Che Guevara

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:40 PM

i agree PSU could be the problem. altho, you have a 450W upgrade, it may not be able to handle all your components. i know i havea 450W and if i work my computer to much with my DVD drive powered, on it completely shuts off. I've also had the problem tho that it freezes like that. That's why I removed my DVD drive, like I use it anyways. Point is PSUs tend to have a great hold on the computer. Think of it this way, your PSU is your heart pumping through the traces(wires on chips) your veins. Not enough blood what happens you start getting cold and eventually pass out. same thing with a computer, but it freezes instead and it'll even shut down.

I also agree with he memory statement, if your going to be gaming I suggest at least 1GB of memory if your running XP 2GB if Vista because its a memory whore.

Another problem could be overheating Video Memory or CPU. Out of the three I'd guess video.
Che

"Shoot, coward--you are only going to kill a man." - Che Guevara as he was then murdered as an unarmed prisoner by the Brazilian army aided by the US CIA

#4 macho_maggot

macho_maggot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

Oh yeah,

About the memory, I have 2 GB. However, my friend has a 450W PSU with the some of the same parts and he does not get this problem. He has the same motherboard, RAM, processor, but he does not have the same DVD drive or HD.

Thanks for your contributions, and I'll check out the PSU later.

#5 macho_maggot

macho_maggot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:25 PM

For cooling, I have stock cooling for my processor, the graphics card comes with a fan, and the power supply has a fan too. When my computer finally reboots, there is an error message I am confronted with. It says: "The system has recovered from a serious error...."

Edited by macho_maggot, 28 April 2007 - 10:34 PM.

#6 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:33 AM

Try disabling the automatically restart on system failure feature. Then you are able to read what messages appear on the blue screen and post that back here for some one to look at.

Click Start Button

On the Start Menu click Control Panel

When the Control Panel window opens click on the System icon

The system properties window opens

Click the Advanced tab

In the Advanced tab window locate the Start and Recovery section and press the Settings button

When the settings window opens look for the System failure section

Remove the check mark from the Automatically Restart option

Click OK to Exit

#7 macho_maggot

macho_maggot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:27 AM

The computer does not restart. I have to wait a while before I press the button. This is because if I press the button, there is a prolonged beeping noise. I think the problem could be from overheating or the PSU.

#8 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:12 AM

Or even your MoBo.. :thumbsup:

#9 Che Guevara

Che Guevara

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:18 PM

Or even your MoBo.. :thumbsup:

I agree it could be the Mobo. Although, some systems have something that acts as a safegaurd against restarting your computer to soon and makes it just beep. It could still be the Mobo tho. It could be the CPU over heating yes so I'd try putting in a new heat sink and Fan. I don't think that would be it but it is possible. Either way its always good to have an after market heat sink and fan.
Che

"Shoot, coward--you are only going to kill a man." - Che Guevara as he was then murdered as an unarmed prisoner by the Brazilian army aided by the US CIA

#10 macho_maggot

macho_maggot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

One question though.
Why is the same problem happening even though I upgraded? And why is there a repeating clicking noise when the problem happens?

Thanks for ALL your help!
:thumbsup:

#11 macho_maggot

macho_maggot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:59 AM

Okay, this is what happens step by step.

1. Boot up computer, everything's fine.
2. Shut down resource hogging programs (i.e. Zonealarm, MSN Messenger)
3. Start up Battlefield 2142
4. Play for a while (around 30 minutes)
5. Screen goes black, computer remains on (blue status light remains on) nothing happens. A repeating noise is heard through the headphones or the speakers.
6. Computer won't restart by itself, must be manually restarted.
7. I keep the computer shut down for a while, not touching it. If I reboot right away, there is a prolonged beeping noise heard from the computer. And if I reboot within 1 minute, the computer becomes really laggy.
8. Reboot. Upon entering the Windows interface, a message comes up. The message says: "Your computer has recovered from a serious error. Would you like to send an error report to Microsoft..."

That is all.
Thanks for all your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users