Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Democracy Quote

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:07 AM

I'm writing a paper on democracy and I would need a good quote to start it out with. Anybody have any good suggestions?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:20 AM

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
--George Bernard Shaw:

A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.
--Thomas Jefferson

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.
--Winston Churchill
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:32 AM

If liberty and equality, as is thought by some, are chiefly to be found in democracy, they will be best attained when all persons alike share in government to the utmost.
-Aristotle

Democracy arises out of the notion that those who are equal in any respect are equal in all respects; because men are equally free, they claim to be absolutely equal.
-Aristotle

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
-Winston Churchill

The processes of democracy may be messy, imprecise, and frustratingly slow.
-Lee H. Hamilton
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:46 AM

"Democracy should be lived, not written about."

- JohnWho

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

Democracy consists of choosing your dictators, after they've told you what you think it is you want to hear.
Alan Corenk

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:23 PM

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:59 PM

"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people."

Oscar Wilde

"Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates."

Gore Vidal

"Two cheers for Democracy: one because it admits variety and two because it permits criticism."

E.M. Forster

"Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man's inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary."

Reinhold Niebuhr
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users