Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Or Should I Defrag My Emac Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 donwconw

donwconw

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:26 AM

I have an emac with a 40 gb internal drive and I use a fire wire drive to record music with Pro Tools. All of sudden things are way sluggish and I wonder if I can or should defrag the hard drive. I know how to do it on my PC, but looking in disk utilities, there doesn't seem to be an option to do so.
Any advice?
Thanks!
dw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:51 AM

Sounds like your hard drive is nearly full. OS X needs at least 15% free space to run smoothly and 40 GB isn't all that big to hold music and such. You can delete unneeded apps, files, print drivers, language files, cache files, log files and e-mail attachments, there may be more but I forgot them, to create some space. You can also try Erase Free Space... from Disk Utilities Erase tab. I suggest you get yourself a bigger external drive to work with recording music.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users