Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie 1st Build, Still Having Problems, Plz Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:29 PM

New build:
Thermaltake Tsunami case
Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 MOBO
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ CPU
Patriot PC2 6400 2x1 GB DDR2 800 RAM installed in slots 1&2
ATI Radeon 1650 Pro PCI-E GPU
Antec Tru-Power Trio 650 W PSU

All items are new, original problem was that after 1st boot, system would not post at all. Per Gigabytes directions, removed MOBO from case and tried running system on the bench, still no post.
RMA'd MOBO, installed into case, along with other components and still having the same problem, no video display, wont' post, not even a beep from the MOBO, all with a known good monitor and speaker.
All 4 cooling fans operate OK (2 case, 1 each CPU and GPU)
CPU is a known good unit, it operates OK in another setup.
As far as I can tell, the MOBO has 3 separate power inputs, ATX 24, ATX 8, and PCI-E 4 pin connectors, these are all secure. Have I overlooked another power input to the MOBO somewhere?
Because of the cases rear panel I/O flimsy plastic device holders I have used screws to secure devices to the case, this, I have noticed, causes the GPU to very slightly cock itself in the MOBO. Could this be my problem??, have I fried the card as a result of this? for what its worth, the GPU fan does operate...would a bad GPU be the sole cause of no video at all?
How come no beep from MOBO folks? Wonder if this MOBO has a built in spkr? I do, however have a known good speaker hooked up to the MOBO's audio output jack........
Whew! enough questions for you good folks out there??...........LOL .......PLZ. HELP !!
:thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:01 PM

Since you imply that you suspect the video card, do you have another card you can try?

Also, and I'm only asking this because I can't see your system from here, are the two memory sticks in the two slots closest to the CPU or the two furthest away?

System board manual - h e r e.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:02 PM

Does it go to start, and then just not start (i.e. the fan begins to spin, then just stops)?
The last time something like this happened to me, I had incorrectly connected the power to my floppy drive (accidentally one pin to the left) - it was shorting the system, and [fortunately] the PSU wouldn't start the system.

I guess unplug everything except the essentials (MoBo PWR, CPU PWR & FAN, RAM seated) and see how it goes - with the Video card out, you should at least get the video BIOS error beeps...

Also, try using only one stick of RAM (check both), as it may also be causing the problem.

Lastly, check that all the cords for your PC (including those that go to the Mouse/KB) aren't damaged. We had one of our work PCs with a crimped/damaged cable for the mouse, and it took a while to figure out that that was why it wouldn't turn on...

Other than those, I'm outta ideas! :thumbsup: Good luck!
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#4 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:04 AM

Since you imply that you suspect the video card, do you have another card you can try?

Also, and I'm only asking this because I can't see your system from here, are the two memory sticks in the two slots closest to the CPU or the two furthest away?

System board manual - h e r e.

The 2 sticks are closest to the CPU...
Figured out why no display, for some strange reason I only have output from the DVI port (white), and not the VGA (blue) connector. It works like this, so I am not gonna mess with it, besides, the monitor I will be using has both type connectors.
I posted another thread later about the bios, if you can, scroll up to it, would really appreciate input so far as that goes.....
Thanks for you patience :thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#5 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:19 AM

Personally I would send the MOBO back if it's still in it's warranty period and get a replacement, you shouldn't have to mess about like that!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users