Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Windows Xp Will Not Start

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 erwatts

erwatts

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:49 PM

Hello Everyone,
This is my first time using this site, but I'm trying to help a co-workers who's computer's window xp will not start up. She is getting an error message that says:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files, and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you are not sure what caused the problem choose start windows normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe mode with command prompt last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start windows normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to highlight to your choice.

And then it goes to a Countdown until windows starts.

After she received this message she choose to start windows normally and then nothing happened.
Does anyone have any idea what is happening or how to fix it. Thanks.

Erika

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:38 PM

Has she changed anything, or added anything recently. If she has added hardware there could be a problem with a driver. Can she start the computer in safe mode?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 erwatts

erwatts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

She said she hasn't added anything, and she wasn't sure how to start it in safe mode, but she will try that when she get's home, and I willl let you know tomorrow. Thank you.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:41 PM

To start windows XP in safe mode if the option is not given. when rebooting the computer press F8

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 erwatts

erwatts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:20 AM

She started it in safe mode and it didn't do anything, so she called dell and they had her put her windows xp disk in again, and then it gave her several directions, like pressing R, and then it automatically restarted itself, but then it came up with the same problem message.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

What did Dell tell her after that? It's possible that the restore failed, or that some hardware failed - what sort of (if any) error messages did she get?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 erwatts

erwatts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:36 PM

She said she was having a hard time undestanding what the man from Dell was telling her, he wanted to her to give him a number of the tower, but she wasn't sure what he was talking about.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:00 PM

Dell computers have a serial number on the back its a white sticker. That tells dell support exactly what is in the computer, when it was made etc.. He would have asked that so he can look up trouble logs see if anyone has had the same problems. It will also give him hardware details so he can trouble shoot drivers, and lastly I am not sure if dell has "live" support but it could also give him information to connect to the computer if she can log into windows with networking support

Edit: If she can find the number post it here so we can look up the computer information.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 27 April 2007 - 03:00 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:36 AM

Theres one or two Dell support techs who check these forums on a regular basis. Maybe they can shed some light on this.

So, let's start by having her try each of the options that are listed (the one that starts with Safe Mode). If that doesn't work, then we'll try the repair again. Please make sure that the owner has a pencil and paper handy so they can write down the exact error messages that they encounter.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 erwatts

erwatts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:04 AM

OK, thank you everyone for you help. I will not see her until tomorrow, so I will ask her then. thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users