Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't View Ads On Neither Browsers (firefox & Ie)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 surgirl

surgirl

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:12 AM

Doesn't sound like much of a problem, but it is :thumbsup:

For some time now I haven't been able to view most ads on Firefox and IE.
At first I didn't mind it much, but now I can't read salon.com anymore...bummer.

Here are some screencaps:

nytimes
Posted Image

imageshack
Posted Image

salon
Posted Image

Well, thanks in advance :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:54 AM

This is a by product of a hosts file. A good thing because a lot of the times the ads, if visible, contain fly-by spyware, unwanted/unnecessary pop ups, attempted browser hi-jacking, installation of tracking cookies, etc...which end up compromising the security of your computer. Web pages load somewhat faster as well becuase more images to load = longer load times. They are pretty useless anyways. For more detailed reading see here:

>>> Blocking Unwanted Parasites With A Hosts File

>>> The Hosts File & What It Can Do For You

At the 1st link are included links to Hosts file editors such as Hostman. I would recommend installing one; they are easy to use & help keep your hosts files up to date. Make sure when you do update them to choose the option to overwrite not merge with current Hosts, to avoid unnecessary duplicate entries.

but now I can't read salon.com anymore...bummer

I'm with you on that one, but when I once viewed Salon without the Hosts file enabled, the ads that popped up caused my browser to crash. Not a good sign. Hopefully, one day, that will change.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 27 April 2007 - 02:34 PM.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:13 AM

Which firewall do you have?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users