Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tcp/ip Issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:05 AM

Greetings one and all.

I'm pretty new to the idea of having more than one computer sharing my internet connection at home, so forgive me if this is all spelled out very simply.

The house has a cable connection.
Up until recently, my house-mate was connecting her Mac directly to the modem by the ethernet cable.
When i moved in, i bought a wireless router.
The connection is not set up so that the cable modem is connected to the wireless router via an ethernet cable, and then subsequently connected back to the Mac via another ethernet cable, leaving me with wireless access on my laptop.
This was working fine for about a week, and then suddenly its stopped working.
My laptop is showing the connection, and allowing me to connect to it, but i have no internet access.
I thought this might be an issue with the router, so i connected it to my laptopto reconfigure it, but this made no difference.
I spoke to the ISP tech support who asked me to try a number of very basic trouble shooting steps, but when i opened the cmd prompt and typed ipconfig i get a message saying

Windows IP Configuration
An Internal error occured: The request is not supported.
Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.
Additional information: Unable to query host name.

I have tried to find some information about this, and a solution that seemed to work for some people is replacing the TCPIP.SYS file in the windows drivers directory. Can anyone advise is this is adviseable ??

I now find out that this morning, my housemate has tried to connect her work laptop and is getting the same problem.

I tried connecting the laptop to the ethernet cable directly to the modem, and although it shows a LAN connection with no problems, i cannot access the internet.

I'm really hoping to find out why this happened so i can avoid it in future, but also how to fix it this time around !!?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

I'm not sure if makes a difference, but just to mention that im running XP Home SP2.

Thanks as always,

Rob.
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:16 AM

First, try pinging the following address from the machines that cannot connect 127.0.0.1(Start -> Run -> cmd Click OK Black and White screen type ping 127.0.0.1)
This will tell you if the TCP/IP stack is properly installed. You should get 4 Replies from the address, if not post back and let us know and we can work from there.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:46 AM

Go to the website of the router and look for a firmware update. What brand and model router do you have, also could you list the maker and model of cable modem?
If it is now happening to both computers I ould doubt it is the computers.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:43 AM

Baloo and Acklan,

Thanks for your replies.

Baloo, im afraid i don't get a response when i ping that address - i get error code 2.

With regards the models and make of products - the Cable Modem is Motorolla Surfboard SB5100 and the router is a D-Link DI-524

I should also clarify that the problem is not the same on both computers as originally thought.

The other computer problem was completely different and has been easily solved.

One solution i have come across is the suggestion that using the repair console i should delete the TCPIP.SYS file, and replace it with a fresh copy either from another system, or the most up to date version of the file from somewhere on the system other than the windows\system32\drivers folder.

I went to try this last night only to discover that i've left my Windows XP disc in storage when i moved from Brussels to the Uk - ( not too bright ! ) - is there anyway of launching the Repair console without having it previously installed and without a disc ??? ( i think i already know the answer to this one ) !

Thanks again for your help

Rob
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

#5 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:26 AM

AS I suspected, your TCP/IP stack is corrupted and needs to be repaired. WIthout an XP disc, I don't know if any other way to get in to the recovery console to repair it. Let me look into it and I will post back.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:44 AM

This may help. How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP

INTRODUCTION

In Microsoft Windows XP, the TCP/IP stack is considered to be a core component of the operating system, and you cannot remove TCP/IP. Therefore, when you view the list of components for a network interface, you may notice that the Uninstall button is disabled when Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is selected. In extreme cases, the best solution for this issue may be to reinstall the Internet Protocol stack. But with the NetShell utility, you can reset the TCP/IP stack to restore it to its state that existed when the operating system was installed. This article describes how to use the NetShell utility for this purpose.

#7 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

Guys,

Many thanks once again for your help.
I won't get a chance to tackle it this evening but look forward to trying this plan of attack in the morning.
Will post back once i've tried it.

Cheers,

Rob

#8 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:46 AM

Morning Guys,

Hate to start Monday morning with some bad news, but i'm afraid this last solution hasnt worked and i'm still suffering the same problems.

This problem all seems to stem from my installation of a wiresless router at the house and USB wireless network adapter.

I tried to do a system restore to a point previous to this but it seemd to change everything but this problem.

I have backed everything up to an external hard disc and am considering doing a factory reset on the system, but im worried that if a roll back type restore hadnt worked, will a factory reset work ??

Any thoughts ??

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:20 AM

Have you tried removing the USB device and uninstalling the drivers\software? Not just a system restore.

#10 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 07:20 AM

yeah im afraid this was the first thing i tried, but no such luck !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users