Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preparing To Switch To Dial-up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:21 PM

i know, everybody hates dial-up, but my roadrunner trial for $30/month is about to expire, and it's not worth $45 to continue.
i just wanted to be prepared, as best i can, for the transition to dial-up. any advice that anybody can give me, who has also made this transition would be welcome. i know that it will be slow.
will i have to use netzero, people pc, earthlink, or aol? the company that i will get the dial-up from is going to be verizon.
i have a compaq presario with XP, and 256 ram.
kaspersky AV
kerio 2.1.5
i don't use any real-time antispyware.

is there a danger of "timing out"

thanks.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 25 April 2007 - 10:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CM2005GT

CM2005GT

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:10 PM

sorry but why would you want to sacrafice speed and freedom of cable internet usage for dial up yea it may be 45$ a month but get the all in one package if possible in your area and the extra 35$ a month IS worth it youll be back to RR soon my friend

#3 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:03 AM

the computer is just a luxury for me. the unlimited local calls that dial-up offers, are a necessity. speed does not matter to me.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:26 AM

I do not know what part of the country\world you are from but most places that have DSL have DSL Lite, generally 259Kbps\128Kbps, for $24.95\mo. Places that have cable have similar deals, EX: http://www.cox.com/batonrouge/HighSpeedInternet/Compare.asp[Cox Cable://http://www.cox.com/batonrouge/HighS...e.asp[Cox Cable 1.5Mbps\256Kbpsfor $26.95\mo.
If you cannot get broadband I would find a local or regional ISP rather than a national. Ironically most national ISPs least service through local providers anyways. Why pay $23.90\mo to AOL when you could have the same access number directly for $14.95 to $19.95\mo, and none of the AOL bloatware to drag your computer down.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:53 AM

You will certainly have to learn a very great deal of patience when you switch to dial up, as well as becoming resigned to curtailing your downloads. You will also have to remember that you cannot use your phone while connected to the Internet.

I would certainly shop around (especially if you have local companies) for DSL before forking out 10-11 dollars a month for dial-up service. In addition, ask around about which dial-up service IN YOUR AREA is the most reliable, has fewest problems and dropped connexions or "time-outs." Check to see how many servers each has in your local calling area.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:12 PM

the biggest reason for getting dial-up is for the unlimited local phone service. if the computer will work at all, it will be a fringe benefit.

thanks for the replies.

#7 davy51

davy51

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:53 AM

the biggest reason for getting dial-up is for the unlimited local phone service. if the computer will work at all, it will be a fringe benefit.

thanks for the replies.

if you find a service that is v92 compatible your modem will notify you of incomming calls and the connection to the net will standby untill you finish the call
DAVE

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

#8 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:10 AM

davy51,
i have seen people that have that feature. i would love to have that.
i have received excellent advice and i will print out this info for future reference.
thanks for the reply.

#9 davy51

davy51

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:56 PM

davy51,
i have seen people that have that feature. i would love to have that.
i have received excellent advice and i will print out this info for future reference.
thanks for the reply.

aol doesnt support it at my location but does in some
there are many isp's that do support v92 all you have to do is search for it in your area
DAVE

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 04:11 PM

I would make the suggestion of going to DSL if your going to use verizon. You can get Verizon DSL Packaged with UNlimited Local and long distance phone service for about $50 a month

Edited by BlackSpyder, 30 April 2007 - 04:12 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users