Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inbound Connections Limit In Windows 98 ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 -=Andrew=-

-=Andrew=-

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:15 PM

I'm facing this problem in my company. I use Win98 as print server connected by 30 computers (WinXP). After connecting 10 computers, the following computers that connect having error message :

System error 66

So, is it that Win98 do have the inbound connections limit ?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:47 PM

Does the Windows 98 computer display an error message? Check the Event Viewer in the Administrative Tools for related error messages.

Microsoft System Error Codes
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:06 PM

I know windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP Pro have a limit of 5, I have heard that 98 has a limit of 10, but I cant find anything at M$ that specifies exactly.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:09 PM

Are you running a true print server or just network sharing the printer through 98?

#5 -=Andrew=-

-=Andrew=-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:18 AM

Does the Windows 98 computer display an error message? Check the Event Viewer in the Administrative Tools for related error messages.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought Win98 doesn't have Event Viewer ?

Are you running a true print server or just network sharing the printer through 98?

Oh... I'm just using network sharing. Sorry for info I gave earlier.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:14 AM

You are correct, Windows 98 does not have the Event Viewer, but you stated that every computer past 10 were presented the error message. Those were all XP computers, yes? I may have miss read your original post, but I understood that XP displayed the error messages not 98. I was just inquiring if perhaps 98 too had an error message displayed at some point.

#7 -=Andrew=-

-=Andrew=-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:29 PM

You are correct, Windows 98 does not have the Event Viewer, but you stated that every computer past 10 were presented the error message. Those were all XP computers, yes? I may have miss read your original post, but I understood that XP displayed the error messages not 98. I was just inquiring if perhaps 98 too had an error message displayed at some point.

So, any idea what's the problem I'm facing. Please help...

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:38 AM

I believe oldf@art is correct. I believe Windows 98\ME are limited to 10 network connection. XP home and Media Edition are limited to 5 connections.
Try simple print sharing and see if you can exceed the 10 connection limit, other than that I would believe you will have to move to XP Pro or install a dedicated print server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users