Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Issues... Soundmax/intel D865gbf Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AC_PureRage

AC_PureRage

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:17 PM

Firstly, I'd like to thank anyone willing to help me on this matter in advance. :thumbsup:

Now, on to the problem...

I just recently bought a new monitor and speakers. I have been using Altec Lansing speakers without fail or problems for quite some time and just today decided to move on to some shiny new Logitech speakers. I first proceeded to install and plug-in my monitor. Everything worked fine, monitor started up perfectly.

Then I decided to move on to the speakers.

I took them out of the packaging, plugged the little green cable into its appropriate port (the green circular port), and also took the power cord and plugged that into the outlet. The speakers turned on fine. Computer's working like a dream, that little light on my speaker is glowing a nice orange.

So I decide to turn on some music. I'm going through my "My Music" folder and decide to turn on some metal. WinAmp opens up, as usual, except instead of my heavy guitar riffs and aggressive bass, I'm greeted by a nice little error message:

Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration.
Error code: 88780078

Okay, I think to my self. Not a huge problem. So I go ahead and decide to open up my SoundMAX control panel. Except it looks like I have no audio devices hooked up to my computer so I can't use the panel.

Device Manager reads under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers:

- Audio Codecs
- Legacy Audio Drivers
- Legacy Video Capture Devices
- Media Control Devices
- Video Codecs.

I try to right-click on both Audio Codecs and Legacy Audio Drivers and use "Update Drivers." Apparently Windows can't find any appropriate updates.

I open up the Control Panel and go to Sounds and Audio Devices. The first tab, Volume, reads "No Audio Device." Now I'm quite sure I have one plugged in, because if I check my tower right now, I can see that green cable plugged into its appropriate port.

So now I start to get a little more serious. I downloaded SIW (System Information for Windows) and looked up my Motherboard model. Intel D865GBF. I decide to Google that and download the appropriate audio drivers on the official Intel site. Everything seems to go fine, except when I'm done installing those drivers, apparently, everything the installer had done just magically disappears and I'm greeted with a "Driver not found! Reboot and try install again" error message. I do just that. Same error.

So I go Googling in hopes of finding some sort of solution to my dilemma. Apparently installing the appropriate chipset drivers should help. I look up my mobo model again, go to the same site, download, install, reboot. I then try to run the audio driver install again.

"Driver not found! Reboot and try install again."

I'm really at a loss of words. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I enjoy having a little bit of sound while using my computer and gaming.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

Has the onboard sound chip been disabled in the BIOS? Please make sure that it is enabled. This can cause the sound drivers not to install.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 AC_PureRage

AC_PureRage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:26 PM

Has the onboard sound chip been disabled in the BIOS? Please make sure that it is enabled. This can cause the sound drivers not to install.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not all that learned when it comes to hardware and such, but seeing as how I have an onboard soundcard (at least, I believe I do - is there a way to make sure?), wouldn't disabling the onboard sound chip result in some problems?

Sorry for asking a noobish question.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:39 PM

In answer to the question, disabled would cause the issue you are talking about. Do you think that you would have any problems getting into the BIOS? As far as the onboard sound chip, if you did not remove on of the slot covers to add a sound card, you have onboard.

Let us know.

We are all noobs in one area or another, so, no problem.

#5 AC_PureRage

AC_PureRage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:43 PM

In answer to the question, disabled would cause the issue you are talking about. Do you think that you would have any problems getting into the BIOS? As far as the onboard sound chip, if you did not remove on of the slot covers to add a sound card, you have onboard.

Let us know.

We are all noobs in one area or another, so, no problem.

Thanks for your help!

Continuing on, I suppose that I do have an onboard sound chip. I guess I misread your post and thought that I was to DISABLE the onboard sound chip, not ENABLE it. :flowers:

Either way, I guess that trying to get into BIOS and making sure that it is enabled would be a good idea - except that I have no idea of how to do that. I'm on a Windows XP Home. :thumbsup:

Again, I thank anyone in advance for helping me in this matter.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:42 PM

When you first start up the computer, there should be a message that says: (HIT (XXX} KEY TO ENTER SETUP) use the arrow keys to browse. there should also be some instructions on screen as to what keys to use. The {ESC} key will always undo any changes.You need to find THE ENABLE/DISABLE Onboard Audio Setting and find out if it is ON or OFF. Make sure that it is on.

Edited by oldf@rt, 25 April 2007 - 10:43 PM.

#7 AC_PureRage

AC_PureRage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:21 PM

When you first start up the computer, there should be a message that says: (HIT (XXX} KEY TO ENTER SETUP) use the arrow keys to browse. there should also be some instructions on screen as to what keys to use. The {ESC} key will always undo any changes.You need to find THE ENABLE/DISABLE Onboard Audio Setting and find out if it is ON or OFF. Make sure that it is on.

Well, the odd thing is, I have no such message that appears during startup. :/

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:31 PM

When you first turn on the machine, is there a large logo covering the screen?

If there is hit the esc key right then and you should see the boot sequence, and also the key(s) to enter the bios message.

#9 AC_PureRage

AC_PureRage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:48 PM

When you first turn on the machine, is there a large logo covering the screen?

If there is hit the esc key right then and you should see the boot sequence, and also the key(s) to enter the bios message.

I managed to access the BIOS, thanks for the help so far!

Unfortunately, I went through the entirety of its menus and could not find an Onboard Audio Setting or such.

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

Do you have the motherboard manual? there is normally a complete chapter devoted to the bios settings, I have never seen an onboard device that cant be disabled or enabled. Of course, I have not seen everything out there. It is normally under the advanced settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users