Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues : Checking Disc / 2nd Drive Unformatted

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:24 PM

[font=Fixedsys]Hello, I have come across a new issue(s) that I am unable to figure out. I am hoping there is someone here to assist. A few days ago I was working on my computer online and everything was good. The next day, approx. 20 hrs, I turned my machine back on. I got sidetracked and when I came back a half hour later, instead of my XP screen and the normal start-up programs, there was a blue screen and a check going on. It said something like "checking disk and cannot read disk" and there was a counted number on each line. These lines of check info were from top to bottom of screen and had corresponding numbers. I tried to exit with a couple key strokes and combinations. I decided to let it go and it went on for 4-5 hours, or until the next morning sometime. Numbers went up to like 5K or more. When I got up the next day, it had come to a few new lines of info reading "replacing invalid security ID/ default security ID for file #s/ security verification complete/ correcting errors in master file table MFT Mirror/ correcting errors in attribute definition table/ correcting errors in the uppercase files/ replacing bad clusters in ligfile" it had frozen seemingly at that. I decided to turn off using the power button and holding it down. Which I do not like to do, but I was stuck. Everytime after I turned it on, XP takes awhile to start up, when it starts to load it stoppes and goes to the F: drive needs to be checked and has an option to escape check. I opted to escape. I did a Norton, SAS, HiJack this and LSP Fix (was recommended by HiJackthis to eliviate a .dll broken internet connection from a past problem and it worked this time getting rid of it). It seems that the 1st time I got it back up, under task manager, there were processes running that were not there B4. SAS found 1 adware and HiJack I was able to fix one other unknown file. I wrote some of the unknows down and they are no longer running...seemingly. Oh yeah, at first my machine was having issues running up to speed and starting programs. And to multi-task meant you were to be VERY patient. I was unable to get online too. Now all that seems to be OK, but I am unsure if I am going to be able to get on every time I want to. I had issues getting online today, but it couldve been a server issue. My main problem is everytime I turn it on, i go to the disk checking stuff. I also noticed my F: drive which was listed as STORAGE, is now still F: but is listed as LOCAL DISK which is the same as my main hard drive. I cannot open it either. Says it isnt formatted and needs to be. But if I do that it says it will erase my info and start over. I have LOADS of personal pics that are unreplacable and music files mostly. They are very important to me like wedding pics and such. I desperately need to know what happened so I understand this and if there is a way to get it back working without wiping it. I appreciate any info and help anyone could provide. If there is any info you need from me, pleae ask. THX, Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:20 PM

Nobody knows what this is? I have to opt out of disk checking every time i turn on my computer unless I have 10 hrs to kill....which I dont. I also do not need to loose my valuble info on the 2nd drive that has apparerntly become unformatted. Anyone please help?!

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:14 AM

I would try to access the second HDD using an UBCD and copy the vital information off before doing anything else.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:49 PM

Well, I have already gone and decided to just bypass the disk checking and I have tried to access the F: drive. It needed to format the disk. After I found there was programs to retrieve lost files, I went ahead and reformatted it. I re-installed the DataLifeguard for WDigitals site. I have current access to the drive but havent yet put anything on it. So far it shows up as a properly formatted disk and is free of any files. DataLifeguard shows it as a properly working drive and no falts. I had downloaded the RecoverMyFiles program and ran it. It found some file types known to have existed. I was happy and bought the program so I could save the files. However on the 1st run I did not scan the entire drive. I got approx. 80 pics and 15 MP3s. The pics were all good and random in relation to what file folders they were in. The MP3s did show but no properties info and no play. futher education on the help topics, and I decided to do a full run on just JPEG,BMP and JPEG DigCamera. It brought up probably every pic i had on there but there was no preview avavilible. Even the ones I had already gotten and saved. I am not happy that after 3-days of straight running of the program searching only 3 file types, it came up with a bunch of files but they are not actually there. Is there a reason I cannot view them? It pulls up a bunch of things i do not know about like NTFS Patition 1&2, $attrdef, $Bitmap, $Boot, $MFT, $MFTMirr, $Logfile and $Upcase. Honestly, I need to have a program thats easy to use and dumba** proof. Ive tried PCInspector but that one seems like a joke and hard to figure out. I need one that will allow me to retrieve my pics and possibly MP3s. Pics are priority. I dont want to buy another program unless its gonna work and be easy to use. And I can save the files to my C:drive. Any input from anyone on this. Oh yeah, I hate it taking sooo looonngg to scan and retriee. THX

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:47 AM

Try this one (GetDataBack), it's expensive buy it's got a trial that'll let you know what it'll recover before you pay: http://www.runtime.org

Last I checked it was $80 US for one (Fat32 or NTFS) and $120 for both.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:49 AM

OK THX USASMA! I checked it out but will get it sometime soon. I just noticed that my fan on the power supply has stopped working. So I am going to try to figure out that issue. I looked up the tech specs on my Dell Dimensioon 4400. The original supply is a 250Watt unit. I am going to maybe use this opportunity to upgrade. When I got this computer 2nd hand 3-4 years back, it had a Single Hard Drive but originally had Two. It had a floppy, a CD-ROM, a DVD player, a simple modem and ethernet, a basic video card and sound card. I upgraded the hard drives, added a CD burner, added a new faster DVD player/burner, upgraded the video card and added a USB hi-speed/SATA card. Along with now maxed memory. Looking around a 250Watt supply is small and with all these componets, I feel it needs a 350Watt or so supply. I was thinking about doing a CPU upgrade. In my research I have a socketed 478 pin Pentium 4 1.7GHz processor. Supossedly I can replace with a 1.8,1.9,2.0,2.20 and maybe a 2.40. They are pretty cheap even new right now. I was going to go with a 2.0 model. There are some differences it seems with the 2.4 model and I am not sure if it would work out easily. I am very tecchnical minded and am able to do the swap myself I am sure. But I dont know if there is any other things I need to know or do if I do this swap. I just want to max this machine out before I have to buy a new one. I was excited to see I could upgrade the CPU so easily. My current CPU is a 1.7 that runs at 1.69, which is great I understand. Anyway, THX for the help and any advice from what Ive written here would be much appreciated. THX, Michel

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:59 AM

Be sure that the power supply that you select will fit in your Dell - some of them use a special PSU that isn't quite the same as the "standard" one. You can "modify" the case sometimes - but be sure before you buy a PSU!

Just read up on the CPU upgrade before you do it - it's simple, but also easy to mess up.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:18 PM

In looking at the PSUs and mine, the one I have has a single fan on the same side as the 3 prong plug and voltage selector. It os attached with 2 screws to the case but has 4 availible mounting points. Dell used 2. I removed it yesterday and blew it out with compressed air. It wasnt that dirty. Now the fan turns. It doesnt seem to pull alot of air though...or push alot of air. But it does spin fast enough to not be able to 'see' the blades. I might go ahead and get a replacement though, so I dont run into any issues. The only other fan is one I had to replace a few years back. Its on the back of the case and has the 'Dell' ducting to the CPU heatsink. Ive seen others computers with multiple fans, but this one has no other fan or a usable space for one. As far as the CPU, I pulled off the heatsink as instructed by the Dell page manual. I have the ZIF 478 pin connector holding the CPU in. I see there is an alignment corner. Anything else I need to know? Will it boot up like normal and just automatically 'see' the new processor? I wont need to reboot anything in BIOS or XP right? THX for the help bud!!! Michel

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:19 AM

The Dell's that I have seen (that aren't standard) will have the 3 prong plug in a place that won't allow you to install a "standard" one without cutting the case. Be wary of this! Maybe a tiny drop of oil on the bearings of the fan will help it to keep spinning?

Your BIOS may hiccup with the new processor, but you should be able to just enter the BIOS and then exit it (saving the settings) and all should be well. Don't forget thermal paste (a very small amount) between the processor and the heat sink.

#10 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:27 PM

Well, I picked up a 500W power supply from CompUSA. Its their brand. They had a nice 'national brand' on sale for alot off reg price, but it was a SATA type and my computer isnt. It was like 450W. I went to put it in....BTW I checked the attachment and plug on mine to compare....and it fits good, the power plug lines up and connectors are all correct. The issue is there is a toggle switch meant to be accessable from outside the case. The back of my case of course has no hole for this. So tomorrow, I am going to dremmel out a square hole for it. I was so excited to go and get it in tonight. But Ill get er in tomorrow. Im going to do the processor sometime in the next month. Dell site says a Dimension 4400 could accept a 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.20 and 2.4 pentium P4s. Mine currently has a 1.7 which runs at 1.69mHz. Looking at the specs on the bigger ones, they all seem to have the same specs but the obvious processor speed. However I noticed the 2.2 and 2.4 have higher Bus Speeds. If I decide on one of those, is there going to be an issue? I was thinking about a 2.0 which has the same specs with the exception of being a faster processor. At STARMICRO.NET the 2.0 I was looking at is Product ID 1009. The 2.2 is ID 1010 and the 2.4 is ID 1012. Can I expect a big difference with the jump from a 1.7 to a 2.0 or would I need to go bigger? Is it for sure possible to do the 2.2 or 2.4? BTW, this is the link to Dell and the info on my machine if needed....http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4400/...I really appreciate the helpfulness, courtesy and advice. I do professional audio and home/car electronics but am learning more and more about computers. I catch on to mechanics and electronics pretty fast. But Ive never had alot of help B4 now. THX, Michel

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:07 AM

A P4 will accept the lower bus speeds - I've got several different motherboards with varying bus speeds and they all have P4's (socket 478's) in them.

The smaller jumps in processor speed won't be as noticeable as the bigger jumps. Since Dell says it'll support the 2.4 - I'd suggest going for that one

#12 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

Cool...then thats will be my next project as soon as I find a good deal on one. I drilled out a hole on the case back for the PSU switch to pop out of. I installed the PSU and tidy'd up the wires. She fired up nicely and I swear everything loads up faster. The fan on the old one had not stopped since I blew it out the other day. But I just didnt want to risk it. Its been in there a long time and I figured a 50% watt increase could be good anyway. The new PSUs fan blows alot more it seems. I was looking at finding a way to monitor temps. It seems i need to download a program to do so. Also this PSU has a feature called "supports fan speed monitoring". Whats that mean exactly and will a temp monitor program work that? THX for all your help and advice =) Michel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users