Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:26 PM

Well, it wouldn't and here's the scenario:

I've been running it for over two years without any problem, but when I went to boot it, it stopped asking me to "insert a boot disk and press any key to continue", or something similar. If you set your system in BIOS to boot off of the CD ROM only, and insert an non-bootable CD - it's that error.

The system has two IDE DVD ROMs, and two HDs - one as Primary on IDE but mainly used as an "in case" backup drive, and the other as Primary on SATA.

I changed the boot sequence in CMOS to HD only, thinking that somehow it may have gotten "confused", but that didn't make any difference. Then I opened the case, and disconnected the power cable on the IDE HD drive in order to insure that the only bootable drive that CMOS would find is the main SATA drive.

This time the system booted successfully to XP SP2 Home. It seemed a little slow, but that may be my imagination since I've been using a faster laptop recently. I did have a problem with CA's Internet Security Suite 2007 slowing down the system, and tried to uninstall it (all but the firewall would uninstall) and then re-install it off of the CD. At the point where it would begin installing, the system immediately shutdown, and re-booted. Thinking that I may have a power supply problem since by disconnecting the IDE HD it would now boot, I shut down and disconnected one of the DVD/CD drives. Same problem at exactly the same spot in the re-install of CA's program. Shut down again, and reconnected that DVD drive, and disconnected the other - no help, it again shut down and re-booted at the exact same spot. I believe that in the installation routine, this would be the time when the DVD drive would be reading data and it would be writing at the same time to the HD, so I'm still suspicious of the power supply.

As long as I'm not using the DVD drives, and only have the one SATA drive running, the system seems fine. I've run AVG's anti-virus and anti-rootkit programs, spybot and Adaware, MS Defender, and, before I uninstalled it, the CA AV/AS suite. Nothing was found except for a few cookies. I feel reasonably confident that the problem is hardware related.

So, my question: is there a program, besides ASUS's PCprobe, that I could be running that would monitor the PS? PCprobe is showing what appears to be consistent voltages, and when the system shut down it happened so fast that I don't see anything in the "history" showing a problem. Should I be monitoring the system board with some other product in case my problem is systemboard related?

Or, is this clearly a PS problem?

The good news - I've been able to backup everything today, so even if the HD fails, I'm OK regarding the data.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:49 PM

Hmmm...

in the last 10 minutes, PCProbe has shown two spikes in the 5 V.

Make that 3.

I think I'm buying a new PS tomorrow.

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

I'm guessing no one is posting in this thread because they agree with my assessment and don't have anything to add?

Make that, "I'm hoping...".

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:04 PM

Wow, the folks on this board are great!

Put in a new power supply, and it booted right up with no problem!

Couldn't have done it without you1

:thumbsup:

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:13 PM

Glad we could help. :thumbsup:

And yes, the PSU was the obvious suspect.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:34 PM

Yeah, I thought so too.

Just felt like posting the problem so some people could see how weird a PC might be acting, and it's not the HD or the OS or the video card, etc. even though some symptoms might imply that it is.

Power supply problems can cause some really strange problems sometimes.

Seriously, this board is a great resource, and I was just being facetious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users