Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have A Problem Using Network Cards & Plugs!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:45 PM

I need help figuring out why my wifi connection rate seems to swing wildly.
I've tried 3 different ways to connect via wifi.

1-linksys wireless-N notebook Adapter-WPC300N
2-D-Link Air plus 2.4ghz "dwl-650+
3-Inexq usb plug

My brothers router is a D-Link DI-524 (1 antena)
I get a varied set of results.

*linksys wireless-N notebook Adapter-WPC300N
I bought this recently to boost the range of my wifi access. I plug it in and I
generally get a great 54kbps. The moment I open a browser or do anything on
the net the rate dives. It swings wildly from 54-46-36kbps to 11mbps-5.5mbps. Then none. Then
sometimes back up to 48-54k. Its very aggrevating. I can't seem to keep a stable connection

*D-Link Air plus 2.4ghz "dwl-650+
It gave me so much trouble I bought the Linksys card. I plug it in and the
connected Icon pops up "Wireless Network connection is now connected". "Sygnal is good".
Speed 5.5mbps. I try to open a browser and nothing happens. So what am I connected to?

*Inexq USB plug
I plug it in and "Wireless Network connection 4 is now connected". "Sygnal is very low".
Speed: 11mbps
I know that it would work better, but I do not have a USB 2.0 port. I guess I just have 1.0.
It generally can open a browser. It seems to keep a constant 11mbps rate.

So what gives? Is there a way to boost/tweak my connection speed? Is there a way to keep a decent
connection speed rate. I get excited w/ the Linksys rate but I can't trust it.
The USB plug seems to be the most stable but at 11mbps.
Any Help?
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:52 PM

How far away from the router are you trying to connect? Does he use the wireless? If he does, any problems with his? Does he have WPA encryption turned on? There may be someone besides you trying to use the connection. Also on another note the router you listed is a "G" router buying a N card won't increase your bandwidth unless you use a "N" router. Cards are backwards compatible, but the router wont run any faster then the technology it is designed with.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:49 PM

Its a wireless router. I'm 3 rooms away or approx 30 feet it you drew a straight line from the router to my computer. We are out in the country so no one can/is trying to steal a connection. It seems like just my laptop has a hard time with wireless connections. My other brother & a friend have slightly newer laptops (IBM & COMPAQ) and they can get a good signal from out in the field (approx 100 yards away). I bought the N card bc the kid at the store said it would help with the "dead stops I might be having in the house. Right now I'm getting
11.0 Mbps from the USB 1.0 Plug when I switch to the new N-Card I get an initial reading of:
24.0 Mbps but then it will start to sway lower and sometimes higher. Its very irritating. My bro thinks the router is a B router. it there anyway to determine the max bandwidth I should be able to access via wifi?
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

#4 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:20 PM

I left the room for 15 mins. Now is reader 54.0Mbps! Would activity on my Laptop (open now firefox, TB, Excel ) effect my connection speed? its now down to 18Mbps! :-( It seems if I don't touch the laptop I get a top reading of 54 Mbps. It almost seems like my bandwidth is tied into my RAM or CPU. weird. Down to 11Mbps errr!!! Now if I let it sit for 10-20 mins it might be back up to 54Mbps.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:24 AM

What kind of laptop is it.. You said your brother had a DI-524 that is a 802.11G router wich has a max bandwidth of 54 mgs per second. Check your system board drivers for the latest PCMCIA drivers. You said you got alittle better reception with the USB connection. Your drivers may be out of date.. Well its off to work...

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users