Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats more important when buying CPU?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gregoropl

gregoropl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:28 PM

I have a problem deciding what type of CPU is better to get. The one with more GHz but less Bus Speed or more Bus Speed but less GHz? Please HELP!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:40 PM

Which CPU's are you looking at?

The important thing to know is if its compatable with your motherboard or you'll be buying one of those too.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 gregoropl

gregoropl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2005 - 09:06 PM

Im looking to get Intel P4 Socket 775 (520 - 550) or AMD Athlon 64 with 939 socket

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2005 - 09:09 PM

Are you putting it in a motherboard that you already have, or one you are going to buy?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:01 PM

Hi, gregoropl

Im looking to get Intel P4 Socket 775 (520 - 550) or AMD Athlon 64 with 939 socket

It's been my (limited) experience that one can not compare these two
manufacturer's products based solely on the published figures.
While it's not as obvious as trying to compare apples to oranges,
some inconsistancies seem to creep into the picture when trying
to equate the mathematics involved.

I think partly because each require a different type of mainboard.
Partly because they each perform somewhat differently,
so that one's published figure used to compare with the other's published figure
without considering additional technical stats might lead to some misunderstandings.

Misunderstandings that I wouldn't be able to clarify, but none the less
I think they may exist.

Just mentioning it in the hope someone else might debunk it or
shed some light on my dimly perceived "hunch".
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:37 AM

Phawgg's point is well taken. Even published and "professional" comparisons between the two have to be taken with a grain of salt. Frankly, unless you are into extreme gaming (and in that case, it is the video card etc. that is important) the difference between the two, measured scientifically in nano seconds, probably does not exist in the lived world of people actually using a computer.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:25 AM

I agree with jgweed and phawgg. The performance difference would be so small that you would need another computer to measure it. The larger question is, is the computing world ready for 64 bit computers? Are the peripherals in place yet? Will this become the standard for the home user? Time will tell.

DVD format standards are just now being decided. Did you buy a Beta VCR or VHS? Hmmm, eight track or cassette? I had a really nice 8 track from Germany (a Muntz) in my car that cost an arm and a leg. :thumbsup: We know who won that battle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users