Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Hole

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:19 PM

I have an Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe motherboard. I have 4 GB of RAM with a 64-bit OS and CPU. My BIOS has an option that allows a memory hole to be remapped. This allows me to use the entire 4GB of RAM instead of 3GB. This only works if I have some kind of 64-bit operating system and processor. I've started to encounter an annoying problem with this, my soundcard, a Creative X-Fi, either doesn't work or I get a blast of static coming from the speakers. The silence or static goes away after a restart and the sound usually starts normally. Turning off the memory hole allows the soundcard to work as it always has. What could cause this kind of problem?

Edited by DJBPace07, 25 April 2007 - 12:21 PM.

3939.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:34 PM

If you got one of the X-Fi cards with X-RAM I shouldn't be at all surprised this is happening.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:29 AM

I've been reading the boards over at Creative, I must say they don't treat their customers very well by some of the posts. Anyway, my problem started two days ago, almost a week after I enabled memory remapping. Restarting the system seems to clear it up after about five or six restarts.

3939.png

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:21 PM

UPDATE: I just downloaded the newly released SoundBlaster X-Fi drivers and they do clear up other issues I have been having with the card. But, alas, the Snapping, Crackling, and Popping issue with the X-Fi boards haven't been cleared up. I did discover a workaround though. Once Vista starts go into the Device Manager and disable the soundcard then re-enable it. This has solved my problem, but it's a pain having to do this just to get sound but it does at least indicate the problem is driver related and most likely limited to how they initialize the soundcard. I doubt this problem will be fixed soon so I'm keeping an eye on Asus and their Xonar cards when they are released sometime in June or July.

Edited by DJBPace07, 03 June 2007 - 09:26 PM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users