Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Adware.chitika Change My Avg Antispyware Settings?.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:38 AM

I did a scan this afternoon with AVG Antispware and when it was finished it had found 4 tracking cookies and one called Adware.chitika. For the first 4 tracking cookies it advised "Delete" but the chitika one said "Ignore Once". As I had never seen this warning before I opened up the help page for an explanation. When I closed the help page I noticed that at the bottom instead of saying "Recommend Action" it now said "Custom". As soon as I changed it back to the "Recommend Action" setting which I have always had the "Ignore Once" immediately changed to "Quarantine". I clicked the button and now it lies in Quarantine but now I can't open Firefox. I can open Internet Explorer to get on line.

I googled the Adware.chitika but there seems to be confusion over it.Can anyone here tell me if my AVG Antispyware has been infected as I did not change the setting from Recommend to Custom and am not sure quite what to do now.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:22 AM

Have you tried to perform the scan in SAFE MODE?

If no avail try to delete that cookie as following :

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune. (This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only)Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users