Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

:ranting: Thunderbird Forums Lose All My Posts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:08 AM

:flowers:

Hi all

Not only are my posts disappearing into the black hole, but Thunderbird/MozillaZine are failing to reply to my emails requesting help.

It is possible that I am at fault, but a few of my posts are available from a few weeks ago. So what is going on??

I tell you, THBD is driving me totally mad.

Perhaps you can help me with the problem that I have been posting to THBD.

I switched from Mic Outlook 2003 to THBD. After a short time, I got fed up with the annoyances of THBD so decided to go back to Outlook. Yes I know, many many of you are not keen fans, but for the time being, it suits me because I don't have to navigate or seek support that doesn't exist.

The problem: Outlook now contains absolutley NONE of my data (I'm sure data is the wrong word for emails contacts etc but I can't think of a better word!!)

Whilst attempting to import from THBD to Outlook, I somehow managed to lose THBD, and then realized that it had been uninstalled.

So now I am without all my critical "data", especially the Outlook calendar as I manage my life by it!!

So, if anyone can help me restore my Outlook, I will be over the moon.

NOTE: I am not very technically minded, so if you would please respond as if you were taking the text from "Computing/Web/Email for Dummies" or explaining it to a child. Then again, most kids these days are more computer literate than the likes of me!!

I am on my knees begging for help....!

:thumbsup:

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:16 AM

Did you backup your stuff whilst changing over to THBD?

Here under a list of locations where to find particular files :

Outlook data files (.pst)

drive:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Offline Folders file (.ost)

drive:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Personal Address Book (.pab)

Offline Address Books (.oab)

Command bar and menu customizations (.dat)

drive:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Navigation Pane settings (.xml)

drive:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.xml

This file includes Shortcuts, Calendar, and Contact links.

Registered Microsoft Exchange extensions (.dat)

Outlook contacts nicknames (.nk2)

Rules (.rwz)

If you upgraded from a version of Outlook prior to Outlook 2002, you may have a .rwz file on your computer hard disk drive. The file is no longer needed and the rules information is now kept on the server for Microsoft Exchange e-mail accounts, and within the personal folders file (.pst) for POP3 and IMAP e-mail accounts. You can delete the file.

If you use the rules import or export feature, the default location for .rwz files is drive:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents.

Print styles (Outlprnt with no extension)

Signatures (.rtf, .txt, .htm)

drive:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures

Stationary (.htm)

drive:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Stationary

Custom forms

drive:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms

Dictionary (.dic)

drive:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof

Templates (.oft)

drive:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

Send/Receive settings (.srs)

Message (.msg, .htm, .rtf)

drive:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents

Edited by fozzie, 25 April 2007 - 08:19 AM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:16 AM

I am not sure whether you deleted Outlook after you installed Tb, but if you did you most likely deleted your information at the same time. You apparently did, however, import your data from Outlook to Tb when you installed it.

Now the question is, when you deleted Tb, did you delete the Mozilla Profile as well? If you simply used add/remove programmes in your Control Panel, then the Profile remains on your hard drive. Mozilla stores much of your personal information in the Profile, and you may be able to import this information into Outlook. The link below provides the location for your Profile.
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile

See also the information under "exporting E-mail messages" linked below:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/faq#export

So, first determine if your Profile was NOT deleted. If it is still there, read the links to the FAQ, and then if you need further help, reply with your questions to this thread.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users