Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Sims Unleashed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MissAmerica520

MissAmerica520

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:48 PM

I posted a post like this a while ago, except it was a different problem, now its something else. Let me exlain, while I was installing the Sims Unleashed, A message appeared that read: -Sorry, there's not enough space free on C:. How can I get more space? or any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks in advance, again.
-Erica-
The message below is true.
The message above is false.
Which statement is true?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:25 PM

This is a common question. The best way for me to explain it, I will need to tell you a few things about how your computer operates.

All of the files on your computer is stored on your hard drive. When you install new applications or games, you are placing them there. For the many versions of Windows, the hard drive is typically known as the C: drive (incidently the floppy drive, if you have one, is your A: drive, and your CD drives start at D and continue up in the alphabet). When you start putting more files that your hd has room for, then you get error, 'Sorry, there's not enough space free on C:.'

How can you fix this? The answer is a little complicated. There can be many ways.

Lets start with the easiest one. I would like to see if there is some "hidden" space on your current hd.
-When was the last time that you cleaned out your add/remove programs? You don't have to take alot out, but the ones you do, make sure you know what they are. Feel free to post them here if you like, and I will go through them as they can be encryptive.
-Have your defragged your hd in Safe Mode? Defragging will move all the programs together and group all the empty spaces together. If you have not done this in a while, it could take several hours to complete. It is recommended that you disable the screen saver, turn off the monitor, and walk away from the computer and check back every so often. Even better would be to start it right before you go to bed. It would not harm anything by leaving it running. When this step it finished, restart the computer normally. At first, it may seem like it is running a little slower, but it will speed back up in time.

Other methods of helping your situation including purchasing some additional hardware. Do you feel comfortable with opening up your computer?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:22 AM

Most versions of Windows, in addition to what JEServices has written, have a Disk Cleanup function, which will allow you to delete a lot of unneeded files, and applications in windows you might not ever use ( options like multilanguage support, accessiblity features, etc.) and reduce the amount of space devoted to system restore points.
Again, you may have a lot of documents or pictures saved on your hard drive that could be saved to disk, not to mention old games and downloads that you really never use, and original zipped files remaining after you unzipped whatever was inside them.
Just think of it as doing your computer spring cleaning a couple of months early---you will be surpised what stuff is stored in your hard drive closet.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users