Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Services

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cuffs

Cuffs

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:34 AM

Hi. New to this forum and am looking forward to becoming a computer user instead of being used by the computer.
I have a Dell XPS400 with WinXP Media Center Home. It has 2gigs memory - Intel Duel Core - Geeforce 6800 card and a few other things that are not off the shelf. I ordered my system so that I could move up to Flight Sim X. After installing and playing around with FltSim X, I found out my system is not as hot as I thought it should be. Graphic card upgrade (pending) not withstanding, I'm hoping to find out what systems I can tweak to hopefully improve system performance.

My two biggest hogs seem to be the CyberLink PowerDVD that came preinstalled and the Media Center Receiver Service. I know that MCRS is used for tv and radio, both of which I don't intend to use on my pc.
As I've stated above, it's main purpose is to use FltSim X. I don't do any networking with other computers and it's the only computer I have in my home. I know that I'm getting really long winded here, but just a few questions to start out my experience with this site.

First....PowerDVD It is currently set to run at logon. Can I set it to run manually without any adverse system impact? Like I said, it's a system hog running in the background.

Second....Media Center Receiver Service How can I configure it to use less resources? Can it also be set to manual? I do know from searching the web that I need to insure that remote procedure call (rpc) is always running. I'm pretty sure that trying to uninstall either one of the above items would cause my system to hate me.

Again, sorry for being long winded. If I need to provide more info on my system, please let me know.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Regards
Cuffs aka Ernest :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:16 AM

PowerDVD should not need to run, at startup.
You should be able to disable running at startup, from the programs Options menu.

Can't be positive about Media Center Receiver Service, but from what I'm seeing, you should be able to set it to Manual, without any adverse effects.
Manual allows Windows XP to start the service when it needs to, but not at boot up.
Depending on your configuration, not all services will start when required while in Manual mode.
If you find you need this service, set it back to Automatic.
There are no other services dependent, on this service, and as you stated, it's for TV and FM broadcast reception.
If you don't need these features, there's no need to have it running at bootup.

To set it to Manual:

Click Start / Run / type in; services.msc / OK
This will open the Services dialog box.
Scroll down to Media Center Receiver Service.
Double click it.
In the box that opens, click the General tab.
Next to Startup type:, click the dropdown arrow, and select Manual.
Click Apply.
Click OK.
Exit Services.
Reboot your computer.

Check this thread for some XP tweaks:
Windows XP Tweak Guide

You might also want to check out this guide, to tweak your running services:
Black Viper's Windows Service Pack 2 Service Configurations
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users