Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Reinstall Windows On New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Johnson

Nick Johnson

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:56 PM

I bought a new hard drive and am trying to reinstall windows xp (my other hard drive crashed and it was time for a upgrade). I have a 5 year old HP pavilon Motherboard. I but the Windows CD in, select boot from CD, and then a Warning Message comes up that says "You must remove the HP personal Meida Drive or any other external media drive from the system before attempting system recovery. Data will be erased if the external drive is left in the system. Remove any such device and press any key to continue." This is not a fancy computer. Only the hard drive, CD drive, and video card are plugged in. In my ten years of computing this is the first time I am really stumped. Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:03 AM

Hey Nick and welcome to Bleeping Computer.
HP directly addresses this problem in their article, Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP. They offer three solution depending on your level of problems.
Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Nick Johnson

Nick Johnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:41 AM

I tried the HP website and that did not work. It tells me to remove any external drives but I have allready done that. I am not sure how to move forward. Thanks for the replies. Your help is appreciated.

#4 Nick Johnson

Nick Johnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:17 PM

I am using the Windows XP disk that came with my friends Gateway computer. Do you think this might be causing the problem? I bought the XP upgrade about two years ago and cannot find my disk. My computer will not support Vista and I cant find XP for sale in the stores. I dont have any recovery CD's. My new hard drive is completly empty. I dont have any usb drives plugged in. I really appreciate the posts.

#5 Lil Bastard

Lil Bastard

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:42 PM

It sound like the XP disk that came with your friends gateway PC is a restore disk. These disk only work with the PC they came with. You can get OEM XP Pro cd's but you have to ask for them. Not at a major chain. try a Computer store. they can at least order it.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:46 PM

Correct. You will need HP Restore XP disks for a HP computer. They will have to be for that model of HP computer also. You can get a set from HP over nighted to you for about $25. If you do not have them you are going to need them. There is no better time than now to order.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:16 PM

I agree with Acklan, Having you restore diskettes will greatly reduce headaches in the future. Finding some of those pesky drivers are a pain. It took me almost 2 hours to find a driver for a e-machine Modem.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:26 PM

Agreed the HP recovery disks work directly around that error that you are receiving. The only problem that I see when you run the recovery is all the crud trial programs that are installed, if you decide to get those disks, let us know, and I can also give you an idea of what programs to uninstall.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#9 Nick Johnson

Nick Johnson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:14 PM

Does anyone know how to order the HP system restore cd's. I went on the HP website and cold not find them for sale. Thanks again for your help.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:36 PM

What make and model is your computer? Here is your option to obtain HP replacement Recovery CDs

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:36 PM

What is the exact model of your Hewlett Packard? Here is the link on how to identify the product:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...oduct&cc=us
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users