Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup question (sorry if it's in the wrong spot!)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:12 PM

Hi:

I just have a general question. I've noticed over the past few weeks that my computer takes a relatively long time to boot up. It starts fine, it's just that I seem to have a hell of a lot of applications that boot up when I start Windows.

What I'm wondering is how I can change it so that I can have fewer applications starting up when Windows boots up.

I know this is probably a pretty lame question but I really don't want to go fooling around with stuff when I don't know what I'm doing! :thumbsup:)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:51 PM

It sort of depends on what operating system that you have. But no matter what operating system, BlackVipers services pages are probably the best around, and will help you a little.

For XP:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Windows ME:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinME/supertweaks.htm

Just be careful about what you disable. Make sure to do some research, or ask, before you disable anything.

Another means of seeing what start-up items is to download WinPatrol (which is a nice piece of protection software also). If you click on the startup tab, it will show you what start-up itmes are running, and allow you to disable them there.

You can also use msconfig to disable items, but I generally only use that for diagnostic purposes.

The next place to look would be in your Add/Remove programs, and make sure there isn't anything installed that you don't recognize. Again, make sure to research or ask before uninstalling anything.

Also, if this is a condition which has recently developed, chances are that you have some malware that needs removal, in which case go to the HijackThis forum here, and read how to post a log. :thumbsup:

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:52 PM

If this has just been getting progressively worse, you might have a spyware/malware problem.

Are you using these basic security programs?

aČ free-a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
Ad-Aware-A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D-Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
SpywareBlaster-A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard-A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

If not, you need to. These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

If that doesn't help, then:

Download the latest version of HijackThis (HJT), from here.

Put HijackThis in a Permanent folder:
Click My Computer / C: / File / New / Folder / name the folder; HijackThis
Put HijackThis.exe, in this folder.
This is a mandatory step, for the backup and restore functions, of HijackThis, to be able to work.

Read the pinned post in the HJT forum, here

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

That way we can eliminate the possibility of spyware/malware, being the cause of your
problem.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 computergeek522

computergeek522
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 12:33 AM

OK, I fixed some things (mainly removing a HELL of a lot of program icons in my taskbar -- I counted 23 before I removed all but the most important ones --- EEP).

Thanks for the advice. I'll be downloading some of the programs you recommended, as well as posting a HJT log for someone to look at.

I know that I may have spyware/malware/whatever on here, since I am guilty of the atrocity of running BearShare. I know, I know --- BS is famous for all sorts of badware infection, and I know I shouldn't be downloading music anyway, but --- I do. I guess I'll have to look into other p2p programs.

Again, thanks for the help. I appreciate it!

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 02:06 AM

The real problem with P2P is not the spyware on the applications, but the real chance of downloading a virus or trojan. If you must use p2p, be sure to exercise extra caution, and carefully scan these files with an up-to-date antivirus.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users