Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Java

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Gwynne

Gwynne

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:47 PM

I am not sure if this is the correct board to ask this question. I have aol and they have free games. I used to play them occasionally. I had java installed. Now I have aol powered by verizon with broadband. I tried to get into the games to play them and some of them and there is a new version of java. However, nothing I have tried has allowed me to download this new version. My out of date version of java can not even be accessed as when I go to the control panel and click on it, I get an error message. I can not delete it either. Any ideas? Is this even the correct board?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:13 PM

1. You can manually download the latest version of JRE, just as you would any file, from this page:
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

2. What does the error message say, precisely, when you attempt to uninstall it?

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Gwynne

Gwynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:40 PM

Thank you, I have tried this link before and it doesnt work for me for some reason. I have tried several different links. Sometimes I get a message saying something about enabling Archive X. I have not tried in awhile to download it, have given up, so can not remember the exact message. Sorry for being vague.

When I tried to download Java right now, I hit download then went to the test page where it just kept reloading. The specific message I get when I click on Java in the control panel is

The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\Program Files\Java\j2r1.4.2._03\bin\javaw.exe -classpath "C:\Program Files\Java\j2r1.4.2._03"lib\plugin.jar-
Djavaplugin.version=1.4.2 -Djavaplugin.notdotversion=142_03 -
Duser.home="C:Documents\and Settings\HP_Owner" sun.plugin.panel.Controlpanel

I dont believe I had tried to access the aol games for months, maybe even a year. In that time I signed up for aol powered by verizon broadband. I sign on through aol and when I try to access certain games or my prize page, I get a message saying there is a browser server error. I prefer signing on through aol as there is a different screen, but I have also tried signing on with internet explorer. It is there that I get a message saying to check and see if my java is out dated. When I try to download the newer version from both the link you supplied and other links, I am unsuccessful. Sometimes I get a message saying installation was unsuccessfull and that I may need to enable Archive X, I believe it says? I have not tried this in a couple of weeks and can not remember that exact message. It shows a picture of what it will look like if I need to enable Archive X. There is no picture telling me that I should be enabling Archive X and that is the only explanation the instructions give me for any type of problem. I have been trying on and off for months now and thought I would ask here. I am using the main aol screen now and not the the one that opens up onto internet explorer, if that helps you.

Edited by Gwynne, 24 April 2007 - 09:48 PM.

#4 Gwynne

Gwynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:55 PM

I am looking at my control panel and I meant to say Active X, not Archive X. Regardless, I am not getting a message saying that is the problem.

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:58 PM

The version of Java that you are running is very outdated and subject to vulnerabilities.
Courtesy of our member tink536, try these steps for updating Java;

-Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u1.
-Scroll down to where it says "The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications". (Should be the fourth box down.)
-Click the "Download" button to the right.
-Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
-The page will refresh.
-Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
-Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
-Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
-Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
-Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
-Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
-Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
-Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u1-windows-i586-p.exe
to install the newest version.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 Gwynne

Gwynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:06 PM

Thanks, I will try this right now. Um, the new error message I am getting says

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Javasoft\Java Plug-in 1.4.2_03

This may have something to do with my getting totally disgusted and trying to get rid of the old java through regedit two minutes ago! I will try what you said and let you know what happens.

Are you familiar with aol? Do you know if I need to be in internet explorer? As I said, I access aol directly. If I go to the internet explorer icon to sign on, it looks more like the screen I get for aol anywhere.

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:15 PM

Wiki Definition of AOL.
They are an ISP.

Edited by TMacK, 24 April 2007 - 10:27 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 Gwynne

Gwynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:16 PM

I have downloaded the Java applications to my desktop. I still can not remove Java from my control panel. What I neglected to tell you is that it is not located in my add/remove programs but is an icon itself. I have 36 icons in my control panel and Java is a regular icon.

#9 Gwynne

Gwynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:19 PM

Okay, aol is an ISP but not a browser, I take it. I get it. I dont think I helped my case any by going crazy and trying to delete everything in the registry file that said Java on it. I probably messed things up and I still cant delete Java from my control panel! It doesnt even give me the option. It just says I can open it or copy it as a shortcut. I guess I got a little frustrated since I couldnt remove Java from my control panel and started looking for all instances in my registry and trying to delete them! Not that I was able to delete them all. Okay, since I cant delete Java from my control panel, what should I do next? Is there another way to delete it?

Edited by Gwynne, 24 April 2007 - 10:35 PM.

#10 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:35 PM

Perhaps you were successful at deleting it when you were trying earlier?
So go ahead and install the new version of Java now.

AOL is an American online service provider, that's why it looks different than Internet Explorer.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#11 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:44 PM

Do you actually have an entry in your Add/Remove Programs similar to 'Java™SE Runtime1.4.2_03'?
If you do, go into Safe Mode and try and delete it that way.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#12 Gwynne

Gwynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:50 PM

I have nothing like that. In fact, since I was fooling around in the registry, I cant even use the fast reply option here now! I did just delete the new Java Runtime that you told me to install on my desktop in case I messed up any components. I reinstalled that and am now going to try to download it.

#13 Gwynne

Gwynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:57 PM

Nothing happens when I try to run it. I tried to run it with the browser off, with the IE browser, and through aol. I definately messed something up when I was in the registry trying to delete instances of Java.

I tried to download through the site as well, and this is the error message I got, the one I said I get whenever I try to download through IE, which is a browser if I am following you correctly.

There is no yellow bar as described at the bottom and this is what got me frustrated enough to start fooling around with the registry keys in the first place!

DOWNLOAD using Internet Explorer browser
JAVA SOFTWARE FOR WINDOWS

Download Details

FREE - Java Runtime Environment Version 6 Update 1
(filesize: ~7.1MB)
Approximate download times:
Low-bandwidth ~40 minutes
High-bandwidth ~ 3 minutes

We encountered an issue while trying to automatically install Java software onto your machine.

If you encounter an error, check the top of the browser (see image above) for a yellow bar that reads "This site might require the following ActiveX control: J2SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1 from 'Sun Microsystems, Inc.'. Click here to install..." Click the yellow bar and choose "Install ActiveX Control..." to allow installation to proceed.

#14 Gwynne

Gwynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:13 PM

I have tried running the application I saved on my desktop, but nothing happens. I thought maybe I could get my registry keys back, if that is the problem, by a system restore and nortons unerase wizard, but they didnt work. Not quite sure what my next step is.

#15 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:23 PM

Is your computer running Windows SP2?
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner