Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Dreaded Tree Octopus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:55 PM

This post was inspired by acklan's posting here: Tigersquirrel

Once or twice a day, I have coworkers, family, or perfectly corruptible strangers :thumbsup: send me emails claiming the most incredible things. There are also cute websites that post amazing findings about previously undocumented animals and unclaimed old Grecian lottery winnings ===>>>that need to be claimed now! Did you know there are tree octopuses hanging around out there?

This is the internet folks. Don't laugh, you know some coworkers who believe this stuff! :flowers:

Last year, I attended a meeting that spoke of internet accuracy and proper sources when doing research. They sited a student that did a paper on the tree octopus. Now we laughed hard, but in truth, a student trusted an internet source and got burned.

The latest notable source issue was Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit. Hmmm... that means your 35 year old weird neighbor. :trumpet:

Wikipedia even states:

WIKIPEDIA MAKES NO GUARANTEE OF VALIDITY

>Disclaimer<

The bottom line, if it sounds funny - question it! Not all things on the internet can be trusted.

So, taking a line from one of my old TV shows Hill Street Blues - "Be careful out there people!"

Have you found the sister site for the Tree Octopus??? If so, please post it. I would appreciate the information and will use it to prove my point to those young minds in my school district.

I hope you guys enjoy this topic as much as I did...

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:06 PM

Wow, as of the tenth, she can open bottles. :thumbsup:

I don't recall ever seeing "save me" sites for nonexistant animals.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it. :flowers:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#3 Cozy

Cozy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:28 PM

People are so gullible these days. :flowers: I just did a quick google search and found a website that has a few spoof sites.

http://www.philb.com/fakesites.htm

Free Online Pregnancy Test :thumbsup: I wonder how many people would actually fall for that one.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:11 PM

Free Online Pregnancy Test :thumbsup: I wonder how many people would actually fall for that one.

Probably the same ones that would take it again if they failed the first time.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:19 AM

So,

are you guys saying it is wrong,

and I'm not pregnant?

Whew, that's a relief!

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users