Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multi-coloured "barcode"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 snowbalotus

snowbalotus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:11 PM

After starting up my computer the screen display sometimes suddenly disappears behind a series of multi-coloured lines which can best be described as like a barcode covering the whole of the screen. When this happens I have to shutdown by powering off and when I reboot the machine either i) it won't reboot or ii) it does but the problem re-occurs. This can happen several times in one night and then not happen for several days.
In comparison to the evolution of the earth, my computer skills are in the ice-age... so if you can help, please keep it simple...verrrry simple!!
Thanks
Brendan

Edited by snowbalotus, 24 April 2007 - 06:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,199 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:03 PM

found on the web:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Video-Card-Prob...d-problem-5.htm

When I was playing WOW the other day my screen looked a giant multicolored barcode. I could still see my mouse pointer moveing around so i left the game. In the desktop the barcode look was still there so i rebooted and it cleared up. But now it happens at any given time in game or just when the computer is sitting on. I took a screenshot to see if it was in the moniter or not and the screenshot looked like a barcode.

There are two possibilities....bad connection or the video card is dying :-(

Turn off the computer, open the case and remove the video card, and system RAM memory sticks, use a pencil eraser to rub the contacts on these items clean and then use an alcohol pad to clean and dry well with a lint free cloth.
Reinstall in the computer and hopefully it solved the problem.

If the problem is still there , then the 2D processor on the video card is going bad....nothing to do but get a new card. Hopefully it might be under warranty.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 snowbalotus

snowbalotus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

Thanks very much for the reply and the advice - will give your suggestion a try (or more accurately ask someone who actually might know what they're doing..). The computer is out of waranty, so fingers crossed!!
Thanks again,
Brendan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users