Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Gone (?)... But Now Pc Running Very Slowly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jellybeanman

jellybeanman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:17 PM

Hi there,

I hope someone can help.

I have an HP desktop running Windows XP Home (with the SP2). Until recently I have NEVER had any problems at all with this machine.

A few days ago I admit I tried to download a *dubious* file, and unfortunately all hell seemingly broke loose! My Norton AntiVirus 2007 made no attempt to block or acknowledge any virus or attack. Internet Explorer was producing pop-ups constantly and everything was running at such an incredibly slow speed that it was practically impossible to perform a basic task like open Google. One website recommended I try Spyware Doctor. This found 126 infections of various type. It seemed to be saying one of the worst was Virtumonde. After 'deleting' these viruses I was immediately inundated with Norton and Spyware Doctor pop-ups saying various terrible things were being blocked and trying to attack my system. If anything, my PC was slower AFTER using 'Doctor!

I did a Google search on Virtumonde and found this site. Someone else's post recommended VundoFix which seemed to work (found about 7 files I believe) and said it got rid of them on reboot.

I was STILL having major issues. I ran Norton scans and Spyware Doctor scans and even Windows Defender scans, sometimes finding the odd spyware or tracking cookie, which it deleted.

I've since tried SpyBot and Ad-Aware 7.0 (as recommended by BC) - these found a few more 'infections' and seem to have dealt with them.

I no longer have any pop-up issues, but my PC is still running far slower than it was 1 week ago before any of this happened. Today for example it took about 10 minutes from button push to being able to open IE. It seems to be constantly 'loading' (making noises) and things keep not opening which always used to (like my Wireless account, or Norton sometimes).

Is there anything I can do? :thumbsup:

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated (sorry for the long post but I wanted to be thorough!)

~
Mike
(jellybeanman)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:36 PM

Hello and welcome,

The first thing to do, would be to check how many processes your system is running, you can do this by looking in the task manager under the processes tab. to free up some resources, you should go to start then run and type services.msc a list will pop up, http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm this site will help you choose the configuration that works best for you.

Download a program called advanced windows care, http://iobit.com/AdvancedWindowsCarePersonal/index.html tell it to do a scan to fix some problems.

http://www.ccleaner.com/ will help you clean up your system from unnecessary files.

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/index.php is a good and fast defrag tool.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 jellybeanman

jellybeanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:41 PM

Wow

That was fast!

Thanks Alan - I'll give your recommendations ago over the next couple of days and let you know how it worked.

Mike

#4 Clubaseal

Clubaseal

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:10 AM

I have this same exact problem and after scanning my comp slowed down just like that. Your solution helped but I still have a few random slow downs.

Edit: Oh, I figured that I should have made a separate topic right after the post. Funny, I actually looked around the pinned topics to confirm that I needed to soon after my post.

Also, the other point of my post was also to confirm the solution in the 2nd post.

Anyways, my apologies I'll make a separate topic.

Edited by Clubaseal, 25 April 2007 - 03:37 AM.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:22 AM

Clubaseal

If you are still having problems, please start your own topic, with a thorough description of the problems you are having.
Trying to help 2, or more people, in the same topic, will just cause confusion.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users