Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Has Encountered A Problem

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 canoelac

canoelac

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:26 PM

Hello --

Running XP home on old computer, 320 RAM, 18 gig hard drive --

Since my trendmicro expired and I did not renew, (and who knows what else I did without knowing it) -- this stuff goes on :

When trying to print a web page, I get the message, "firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close." Also happens with ie7, and also if I try to copy a page to Word, or open with Adobe, the same message appears, like "adobe has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I can "cure" this problem by installing SP2, but then the computer takes 2-5 minutes to respond to any and every "enter" or mouse click ... so currently I have uninstalled SP2. The computer responds very well now except for the no-printing-allowed part.

Thanks in advance! I'm only so-so on this computer stuff so KISS if you please...... :thumbsup:

Larry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:29 PM

Two things..
1) Look in the Event Viewer for error messages. The Event Viewer is located in the Administrative Tools in the Control Panel.
2) Have you tried using Sytem Restore to a restore point before the modification?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 canoelac

canoelac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

Thank you Acklan for responding,

In Event Viewer: in the "application" section there are 1,995 events, the Errors are "application errors" and the "warnings" are EvntAgnt.
In the "system" section there are 2,235 events --
on 4/24/07 there are these "system" Errors with Sources:
4 Service Control Manager
1 Tcpip6
5 acpi
3 srservice
4 Dhcp
Yesterday there were 15 errors with source DCOM.

I discovered that System Restore was checked "turn off." I don't know when or how I did that. I turned it back on now.

Larry

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:22 PM

Please be very specific about the error messages. Post the last 4 error messages, with the details.

#5 canoelac

canoelac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:57 AM

This is from the "applications" section:

Faulting application pop90.exe, version 9.0.0.883, faulting module unidrv.dll, version 0.3.1281.0, fault address 0x0003a7da.
Faulting application pop90.exe, version 9.0.0.883, faulting module unidrv.dll, version 0.3.1281.0, fault address 0x0003a7da.

This is from the "system" section:

The System Restore Service service terminated with the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x70), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

The System Restore initialization process failed.

Thank you Acklan for hanging with me here!!!!

(I just now discovered I could double-click on an error to get further details, I didn't know that before.)

Edited by canoelac, 25 April 2007 - 12:14 PM.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

Do you have Corel WordPerfect Office on your computer? From what I am finding pop90.exe is a Corel file. Here is a knowledge base reference to a similar problem.
Error ''POP90 Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module CDRPDF91.DLL''
While this may not be the exact error you are having it may help. I am going to continue to research this problem.
Are you receiving additional error messages?

Edited by acklan, 25 April 2007 - 06:46 PM.

#7 canoelac

canoelac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:55 PM

Hi Acklan,

Yes, I use WordPerfect a lot.

Maybe you can "pause" your research. I looked through this site and the "details" that you told me to find. And thought about it. I guessed, maybe the "ports" were the problem. I uninstalled the printer, and in "printer properties" somewhere I checked all the unchecked boxes that allowed different serial ports etc. to print "on the first free port."

On restart, the printer reinstalled automatically, and the problem has disappeared!!! at least for the time being!!!

Thanks for your direction and for this great site! Tutorials are actually understandable!!! A rare thing in computerland.

Cheers
Larry

Edited by canoelac, 25 April 2007 - 06:56 PM.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for your direction and for this great site! Tutorials are actually understandable!!! A rare thing in computerland.

Cheers
Larry

Will do. If you have further or different problem just post here and I'll get the message. Yes it is refreshing. The Staff of this site work very hard to make the average computer user fell at home.

Welcome to BleepingComputer! Where we simplify the complicated.

Edited by acklan, 25 April 2007 - 08:27 PM.

#9 canoelac

canoelac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:03 PM

Hello again, Acklan, new problem. Computer bleeps (well, beeps) about 19 times every 15 seconds, in no discernible pattern. High and low tones. Award BIOS 6.00PG 01/16/01. Beeps from the time I power on until I power it off, regardless of what apps are or aren't running. If only it had a pattern! But I can't detect one. And the computer works just great, almost like new except for the beeps.

History:

I re-installed SP2 and had a big problem with delayed responses to desktop left or right clicks. Several Microsoft support messages later, we discovered my RPC had to be set to "local system access" or something like that. Cured the delay problem. Computer worked great guns for a couple of hours and then began to beep. Single beeps about 10 min apart at first, by a day later it was to this 19-per-15-seconds rate and that has stayed constant for over a week.

Yes it is over a week that I have been trying to work with Microsoft Customer Support, and they are still taking me through their diagnostic tree, but I need more help than they are giving me! Currently MCS has asked for my sound card information to see if they can find a different driver to experiment with. So they are simply flailing about. Have you run into this type of problem before?

Thanks lots,
Larry

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:04 AM

Could you let us know what Microsoft has tried so far (so we don't duplicate their efforts)?

Does it do the beep thing while booting (before going into Windows)?
Have you checked your Event Viewer for errors?
Have you used any system temperature monitoring utilities?
Have you checked the Processes and Performance tabs in Task Manager to see if anything is out of the ordinary?
Have you enabled viewing IO Reads in the View menu of the Processes tab of Task Manager (and looked for anything unusual there)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 canoelac

canoelac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:08 AM

I'll be right back, I had everything answered and the connection failed. Must re-do. Larry

#12 canoelac

canoelac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:20 AM

Hi again John,

Microsoft so far:

collected system information with msinfo32;
checked issue in Safe mode (still beeps);
checked Hijack This file;
sequentially disabled and re-enabled all the devices in the DEVMGMT.MSC command; and I do mean ALL (misery!)
referred me to TechRepublic article to get codes, which was no use since the beeps aren't in code, they are random;
uninstalled and re-installed SP2 since the beeps started right after that install;
took screenshot of sound card properties and currently looking for updated driver.

It DOES always beep, from power on to power off. Even sitting off overnight, it begins beeping within the first 2-3 seconds of turning the power on (pushing the on button on the cpu).

Event Viewer has 2 errors pop up every time I turn machine on, TraceLevel parameter not found, and another Trace thing. Other lines of "Information' come up.

Idon't know how to find temperature. I haven't worried too much about this since the beeps begin even when powering up a cold machine.

Processes and Performances look like usual, there is a cidaemon.exe I don't recognize since the SP2 install. But it always runs 32 processes and the System Idle Process always has 98% of the CPU.

I can't find a way to get I/O reads, my View menu only allows "Refresh" and "update Speed" and "Options" and oneother thing I forget.

Standing by. Thank you John.
Larry

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:57 AM

Sorry, the View menu (when on the Processes tab) will show "Select Columns" - the IO reads is after you click on "Select Columns"

Since this occurs before Windows even starts to load, it's gotta be a problem with your hardware (Windows can't be the problem if it's not even running).

I'd disconnect everything that you can from the system and power it up to see if it keeps beeping. Try this link for some suggestions about system stripdown: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/

It's basically a matter of removing stuff until the beeping stops. If it does stop, then it's what you last removed. If it doesn't stop, then it's within the things that are left. Also, substituting "known good" parts will help to eliminate some devices that are essential when doing a stripdown.

BTW - while it's unlikely to be overheating, things can overheat pretty durned quickly if they're not working properly - so don't rule it out just yet.

Edited by usasma, 24 May 2007 - 09:58 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 canoelac

canoelac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:03 PM

Wow, that's intimidating.

Right about now I think the high explosives would be a better choice.

But I'll take a shot at all this ..... don't wait up .....

Larry

#15 canoelac

canoelac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:31 AM

Hi John,

the memtest 86 part is too far beyond me. I click on the execute file and a black box with a command prompt comes up saying "Enter disk image source file name." I have absolutely no idea what that might mean. I looked in the "readme" and it is just too deep for me. I have to skip this part.

Larry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users