Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod Problem Need Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Coombes

Coombes

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:44 PM

OK recently im getting the BSOD every 30 or so minutes. So I looked around online and found out various websites and various things I need one of which was a .dmp file which ive got here: .dmp File

So I was wondering if a kindly soul would take a look and see whats there.

Thanks,
Coombes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:18 PM

The dump file link given took me to an Ubuntu forum on Netgear routers. All we need here is the first part of the stop error giving something like this: STOP - 0x00000023 FAT_FILE_SYSTEM fastfat.sys

STOP - 0x0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Thanks

OF

Edited by oldf@rt, 24 April 2007 - 02:20 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Coombes

Coombes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:36 PM

oh sorry how do i get that?

oh and here's a revised link to the .dmp file .dmp file correct

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:39 PM

I just read the dump file, you have a celeron 2.66, on a MSI mainboard, MS-7222 ver 2.00

Stop STOP: 0x0000008E , the dump file indicated that the following file is the problem: vtdisp.dll - Address BF17230A base at BF012000, DateStamp 45efb2b5

The problem seems to be the VIA/S3 display driver. Have you recently installed a new video driver?

the problem can also be caused by the HAXDOOR virus, here is a link from M$

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903251

I would try to run a full virus scan first, and then re install the video driver(s)

added open the case and clean out all the crud check this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Edited by oldf@rt, 24 April 2007 - 03:44 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 esdog

esdog

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:33 PM

Hi Coombes,
As i am only a trainee i can't coment on your log.
I suggest that you do these two things.
Go toAm i infected,what do i do?first.
Then if you wish you can post your log here.

Good luck, I will follow your progress and see how you go.

Erik
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, on others I let her sleep in.

#6 Donald Lee McDaniel Esq.

Donald Lee McDaniel Esq.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:57 PM

oh sorry how do i get that?

oh and here's a revised link to the .dmp file .dmp file correct

:thumbsup:
Howdy, I'm a new member. Name is Donald, otherwise known as "Donald Lee McDaniel Esq".

If I may interject, I am coming to see that buggy ATI video drivers appear to be a big cause of many BSODs in Windows. :flowers: :trumpet: It is true for both XP and Vista.

Everytime I've experienced a BSOD under either XP or Vista, the rascally driver almost always turned out to be an ATI driver. On the otherhand, I have never had a BSOD caused by a video driver under either XP or Vista with an nVidia card controlling the video.

This may be true pretty much across-the-board in the field of video card manufacturers. They just can't seem to adjust to Microsoft's video model. Of course, Microsoft is pretty much a lumbering bull charging through the camp. It's either Microsoft's way, or the highway, no doubt about that. Even though Microsoft's way might turn out to be the wrong way (witness the former-day "Windows ME" and the current "Windows Vista" -- otherwise known as "Windows ME II").

Whether this disparity in drivers is attributable to the quality of engineers each manufacturer is willing to pay for, or attributable to Microsoft getting stubborn in its old-age, and refusing to compromise with those engineers, I still recommend trying a different video card.

Since I've had my best luck with nVidia-based cards, I suggest one from a third-party manufacturer, such as eVGA or xFX. My current eVGA card is providing excelllent service, and I never get a BSOD when using it which isn't caused by my own foolishness.

Whether it would be better to obtain one from a third-party or from nVidia itself I can't really judge. Either way, you will pay less and get more from a third-party manufacturer who uses authentic nVidia chips

#7 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:27 PM

Hi Coombes,

I've split off your HijackThis log into it's own thread in the HJT forum that can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t=0#entry505871

This is so you don't get inadequate or even dangerous advice of what to fix.

Just glancing at your log I can tell you that your hosts file has been altered to prevent you from reaching security related sites, which indicates an infection. Not sure at this point if it is Haxdoor or something else--the rest of the log looks clean. So what may be there could be otherwise hidden.

This may still be a driver issue, but I suggest you not make changes to your system until one of our analysts looks at your log and sees what can be found to be cleaned up. I'll try to look at it myself if I can find the time.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users