Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have Removed Spylocked But The Flashing Toolbar Icon Remains..

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oliver123

oliver123

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:07 PM

Hi

I'd really appreciate some help with this.

I put my machine online for the first time the other day and within 24 hours it was infected! I have now got the firewall on (!) and upped my security settings.

I used smitfraudfix as demonstrated on this website (thank you) and all seems to be back to normal except for the annoying pop up flashing away in the toolbar. Can anyone help me get rid of it???? I have tried just about every virus/spyware scan known to man and it still remains!

I am new to this so any help will have to be idiot proof!

Thanks

Oliver.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:54 PM

Assuming it is one of the smitfraud infections, Super Antispyware should take care of it. Use both programs.

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 oliver123

oliver123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hi

Thanks for the advice but neither were successful. The icon flashes between a blue circle with a white question mark and a red warning sign. Can anyone else help?????

Thanks

Oliver.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,611 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:50 PM

Smitfraudfix was updated 12:36pm on April 22. Have you tried it after that time? The malware is constantly changing so what didn't work yesterday may work today as the different antimalware programs update.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/85376/how-to-remove-spylocked-and-spywarelocked-removal-instructions/

Edited by buddy215, 24 April 2007 - 08:59 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 oliver123

oliver123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:50 AM

Hi

I ran smitfraud on the 24th so would have ran the latest edition.

Thanks

Oliver.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:39 AM

Suggest you post a Hijack This log.

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

#7 oliver123

oliver123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:02 PM

Just followed the steps listed before taking the hijack this route and ad-aware from lavasoft found the last traces of the virus and removed them.

Thanks for your help.

Oliver.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for letting us know what worked for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users