Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Does Wga Validation Transfer If My Computer Dies?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 elinatim

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

From all that I have seen so far, the M$ WGA Validation Tool matches your full retail copy of XP with your current computer motherboard. So if my computer crashes one day and I decide to ditch it, can I validate XP on a new machine?

Somewhere I have read that the new machine can be validated, but then the old machine (if it still works), will be recognized as having pirated ware. Can anyone corroborate?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:09 PM

You can only place one license of Windows XP on one computer. Anything past that is piracy. If you have a valid excuse - such as a hard drive failure, you can reinstall your copy of Windows on the repaired hard drive. WGA issues can be adressed directly by Microsoft - They are easy to work with - as I have had to do that very thing.

Hope this helps...

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:27 PM

According to the Microsoft EULA you may move the retail version from one computer to another, but you have to completely remove it from the first computer. You may also transfer XP from one owner to a new second own if the first does not retain a copy.

13. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users