Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Changes In Drive Letter Assignments

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mr President

Mr President

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:01 AM

I have a "SC101 Netgear Storage Central" network hard drive storage device with 3 partitions requiring in 3 drive letters. I also use a 40 gb USB portable HD for transferring information to clients and a 1gb SD card and built-in slot that I transfer pictures from my camera and music to my portable player. When I plug in the USB drives or SD slot cards my network drives sometimes change. H: become I: etc.

Is there a way to permanently assign these drives to specific letters at a higher level (such as J:, K: L:) so that the temporary drives can use the lower ones (E:, F: etc.)?

Keep in mind that these "network" drives are not true network drives like ones that are on a server, but it is a dumb network device that has two hard drives in it (they area mirrored).

Also i have already checked the setup software from Netgear and it does not address this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

Have you tried mapping the drives from My Network Places?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Mr President

Mr President
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

Yes I have. The problem is that the drives are not like a network location, like a folder on a drive on a server. They don't show in My Network Places. When I manage them through the Netgear software it does show an IP address for each drive, but they do not show up anywhere else. I didn't think of it until now, but I will call Netgear tech Support.

#4 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:58 AM

That netgear NAS treats those drives as if they were SCSI devices. If you go into the disk management console (start --> run --> type 'diskmgmt.msc' (sans quotes) --> click 'ok', you can re-assign those drives to different letters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users