Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive Installation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jdoolittle

jdoolittle

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:43 AM

My HP 775e needs a new hard drive (Maxtor 6Y080L0). I have located a web site that sells the same make/model for $42.65. Before I remove the old (damaged) one, is there a procedure that I must take so I will not have any problems when installing the new hard drive? Like, coping files and such..

I have six (6) CD's ( for reformatting) that came with the PC. I'm running XP Home on the PC. Do I just use these when I have the new drive in?

Give me some breakdown on what I must take to make a clean trouble -free install.

Thanks for your information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:23 AM

If you have the installation disc with the product code you shouldn't have any problem. The disc will prompt you to format the hdd and then partition it, after that it will take you through the rest of the installation of the OS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:10 PM

Those 6 cds are the recovery disks, once you have installed the new hard drive, all you should have to do is put disk one in the cd/dvd drive and restart the computer.

here is some more information about the HP restore process:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...168&lang=en

when you use the hp recovery disks, they are supposed to place the computer in the factory original state. You will have to do some cleanup for trial applications that you dont need or want, and update to service pack2 and run windows update. you should not require activation or a product key, in some rare cases you will have to call microsoft, just use the key on the OEM sticker on the side or back of the computer.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 jdoolittle

jdoolittle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:10 PM

Thanks very much, oldf@rt..

That's what I would call some great information... That's the information one needs to get the job done...
I will follow your recommendations.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

And I Thank You --- please reply or start a new post when you are finished changing the hard drive, I can then give you some tips on optimizing the HP computer.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users