Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Airline And Hotel Reservation System

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:59 AM

I am looking for the best programming software to use in developing airline and hotel reservation system with which i dont have any idea.i dont know what front end and back end softwares to use to create an interface on this project.Does anyone know which language is much easier to learn as far as this project is concerned.A language whcich has numerous tutorial sites.A language which is applicable for this case.Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:26 AM

That is a complex project. And by complex, I mean several years of development experience, on top of programming experience. There is no 'best' IDE, on the one's that are applicable. The only site that I can think of that would even begin to cover things like program architecture would be Sun Java's site. But it isn't going to teach you anythng about data structures, databases, GUI architecture, and a myriad of other facets that go with a project like that.

Perhaps you only mean to simulate an airline and hotel reservation system for a class or something?

#3 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:39 PM

Tnx.That was something that confused me.Giving that kidn of project to those who dont even know any idea about programming is something to laugh at.
I was asked to use visual basic for this.What do youthink I need to emphasize primarily about this project?And what are the most important points to cover as fas as this case study is concerned?
And how will this be a project if this wont involved even small chunk of codes?Any suggestions?Thanks.

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:21 PM

I was asked to use visual basic for this.

Yes you could use VB for this but people say its dated now, but I've been using it for 13 years. You could consider VB.Net. :thumbsup:

If you've never done any programming before then its going to be difficult anyway for such a complex project. You are going to be better of using a database app.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#5 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:34 PM

I do have background in visual basic.I had hands-on experience with this language 4 years back for about 2 years only.I m not so sure if airline reservation system can be programmed the way how accounting-payroll/GL is made.Can this be also developed with MS ACCESS alone?
Im planning to tailor it with vb front-end ms access backend app.

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:45 PM

Can this be also developed with MS ACCESS alone?
Im planning to tailor it with vb front-end ms access backend app.

It could be made with Access alone but it would take a lot of work to use it. e.g. searching for data, adding/removing data, finding when a plane is full. etc

If you are not sure what you can do with databases and VB do a search on PSC. Do you still have your VB? :thumbsup:

Keith

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:28 PM

It would also be helpful for us to understand what your project specifications are. I can describe the architecture behind what you are trying to do without a lick of code. I can describe what a relational database is without code. What is it that you need to do for your project?

#8 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:25 AM

Thank you all guys.
I dont have any choice but to use both vb and ms access.These kids have to be taught vb and at the end of the school year they have to complete this case study.I was just informed that ill be teachin them on how to handle this project.It's up to me the scope of the project.Maybe,for these O level students, simple design of airline reservation system not typical real one as long as they can apply their knowledge on working with vb and the concept of relational database.
Maybe Ill teach them stablishing ADO connections first for simple database maintenance.

#9 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:41 AM

Ill have 8 months to drive them to carry on this project.Within that span of time,I will also prepare them for cambridge exam.I can see its gonna be too tough for them.I just want to if the following minimum requirements for the project are attainable or possible to be achieved by these students, assuming theyve gotten their selves set to all basics beginners have to learn.Kindly tell me which of these features are not feasible.

Users enter the date and time, departure and arrival location. They can use the map of USA to enter the locations. The departure and arrival location should be highlighted on the map according to the user's selection.

Users should be allowed to enter the location using ComboBox. Your system should synchronize the two inputs, i.e. users' selection on the map should be reflected in the ComboBox, and vice versa.

They should be allowed to use calendar control to enter the date within the next 12 months.

You can simplify the map and the possible locations (airports). You can assume that there is only one airport in a state.( You can use the state name as the departure and arrival location. )

The system will recommend a list of possible flights. Even though the sample database is simple, you should assume a general situation in which there are many flights between two airports in a day.

Users should pay the fee at the end of reservation. Users have to pick one out of the 3 types of credit card ( Visa, Master, Discover) for payment. The default value (when the application is started) should be NONE in the payment field. When they select the credit card type, a form opens up asking shoppers to input their sixteen digit credit card number and the expiration date (format mm/yy). Any deviation from this should result in the system responding to shoppers to correct the situation.

Users can book the tickets for one way or for round trip. Of course, if users want to make a round trip reservation, your system should accept inputs for returning flight.

Users can reserve up to two seats at a flight.

Users can change their selections at any moment of reservation.
At the end of reservation, you should provide the confirmation information for double check.

This project should be done in teams of two. ( The same team members of VB2 would be a good choice.)

The raw data will be provided. ( flight schedule data, map data )
You should store the raw data in a database. (I recommend MS Access

If these are reject,pls tell me from where I should start.How will the program flow?Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

#10 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:52 AM

I want to narrow it down as long as these are fetured.Can this be possible????Tnx

Keep track of customer reservations
Keep waitlists for flights
Determine flights for various origins/destinations
Determine if flight for some date is available
Produce full itinerary, including price of flight
Allow customer to cancel or change flights

#11 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:29 PM

Are you using VB6 or VB.Net?

Keith

#12 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:35 AM

I want to use vb because aside from the fact that I also need to teach this language, Im quite used to its IDE.
But as I have heard that,although Ive got source code for this project written in VB.net,VB.net must be treated entirely as different language.
It's gonna be good for me to try VB.net as new language to learn but with limited time given and the type of crowd to teach,I dont think Ill be happy with the outcome.And I dont think they can be able even I can be able to jump off to OOP lang.
But if there is a option in which theres no need to do so mcuh coding for this project ,the better.

#13 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:28 AM

What level are your VB students?

Reading your spec on the project it seems quite involved for beginners. Can't you start with simple examples on how to use databases using ADO, DAO, Adodc and Data control? :thumbsup:

Keith

#14 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:50 PM

These students are 15-16 years of age.What else should I include in the above specs to make the project a little better if not sophisticated?Ill to summarize all the things they need to learn before trying out creating database app in vb. If well be able to finish this simple prototype earlier than expected,what is the more advanced feature do you we should add that most modern ARS contain?Tnx.

#15 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:41 PM

If they have never used databases before then I would suggest doing a simple one. Something like a phone number database where they could search for names and phone numbers. :thumbsup:

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users