Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vertical Band On Right Side Of Screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 xelaw

xelaw

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:12 AM

My wife has a laptop: LG Model L550A46E (Win XP SP2).

A few days ago, a problem showed up with the LCD screen: a fixed vertical band of shadow, along the right side of the screen, about one-sixth of the screen width. It shows up as soon as you turn on the laptop, and on all displays and screens that show up. It does not appear on a screen capture.

Here is a picture of the screen (sorry for the flash reflection; that's not the problem):
Posted Image

Does anyone know why this would happen and how to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:39 AM

Hello,

That band you see on the right is a sign that the screen is starting to fail usually due to over heating.
How long had the system been on?
If you turn off the system and leave it for a few hours then turn it back on, the band should not be there anymore. You need to remove the dust from the system and make sure the fans are spinning correctly.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 xelaw

xelaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:41 AM

Alan, thanks for the tip.

As I said, we're talking about a thin laptop, so does it have a fan inside? I can't hear anything spinning, but certainly the case has no hotspots that I can feel.

The laptop is shut off every evening, but the battery is charged all the time. Just in case, I've shut off the laptop, and pulled out the charger, and we'll see what happens tomorrow morning.

I'll let you know what happens.

#4 xelaw

xelaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:12 AM

Well, the laptop (and charger) were shut off for about 17 hours, but the problem remains. The gray band on the right is still there.

Any other suggestions?

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:10 AM

It could be a graphics problem, but as it doesn't show up on print screen, it leaves me to believe that it is a hardware problem with your screen. Is the band always there? does it show when you power up the system?
Regards,

Alan.

#6 xelaw

xelaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:32 AM

Alan, thanks again.

Yes, I think it's a hardware problem also. The band is always there, and appears as soon as the laptop is powered up.

Assuming it is a hardware problem, what's to be done? Can a laptop screen be fixed, or can it be a problem with a screen driver or video card (I don't think the laptop has a separate video card). How can the problem be isolated?

#7 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

I'm pretty sure the screens on laptops can be replaced (not very cheap though). . .But I'm not a laptop guy, so don't take my word for it.

Posted Image

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:44 PM

Just a quick search for new screens it appears they are around 400-500 brand new I did not find the exact one for your laptop ( didn't search for a direct replacement)

Edited by Sneakycyber, 25 April 2007 - 05:45 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:10 PM

To rule out the lcd display, I would connect your laptop to an external monitor. If the band shows up on the external display, then you have a video circuit problem. If it's clear, your lcd screen probably has issues.

Just one more thing to consider :thumbsup:

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#10 xelaw

xelaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:50 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

Hopefully, this weekend I'll get around to taking the monitor from my PC and plugging it into the laptop. Then I'll check out laptop screen prices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users