Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Doctor 2006/safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 keithmcm

keithmcm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:41 AM

I have the system doctor 2006 spyware trojan. I have read the how to on removing it. The problem is the only action I can get from my computer is in safe mode. Can I download the needed programs on another computer, burn them to cd and upload them from a cd in safe mode? Or does safe mode lock you out of that? Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:42 AM

Yes, you should be able to burn a CD on another computer and then use that on your computer in safe mode. Have you tried Safe Mode with Networking? You should be able to access the internet in this mode.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 keithmcm

keithmcm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:17 AM

Okay that was very helpful. Thank you. I am working from this page at PCHell http://www.pchell.com/support/systemdoctor.shtml
I am at the end of run SmitFraudFix and it says run a full system scan. Maybe I'm being dense, but does it mean a virus scan, an error scan or something else? There is no system scan within the program that I can see.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:57 AM

I think what it means is that when you select option 2 this is the full system scan. So after that you can continue with the next step.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 keithmcm

keithmcm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:21 AM

Thanks. I have now gotten all the way to run hijackthis. However when I went into safe mode with networking to check the items on the file to see if any were dubious..... I got the very same popup adds on IE that were the syptom of the infection (I use firefox) So I killed the popup and shut down. Looking at the processes that were running the thing that strikes me is that there were 5 svschost.exe processes running which seems like a lot. Do I just start the whole thing again? (I use an old computer also, I guess I could email the hijack log to myself to post it. I am using the old one now)
One other thing is that this whole problem began at the very time I got a router. Could it be what is infected? (Old computer runs ME, it's so buggy anyway it's hard to tell if it is infected, it goes blue screen every 15 minutes anyway.) Thanks for the help so far.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:37 AM

I would post the HJT log in the HJT Forum and let the experts sort it out.

Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users